July 2014 Book of the Month: Dead Man's Folly

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin
edited June 2014 in All Poirot novels
A murder mystery fete quickly becomes all too real and it's up to Poirot and his trusted friend, crime novelist Ariadne Oliver, to solve the murder.

July sees the launch of the exclusive hardback edition of The Greenshore Folly, the novella on which Dead Man's Folly was based, and also the launch of the Agatha Christie Book Bench which features artwork from the story, so this month we decided to turn back to the text Agatha Christie first published.
And if you're lucky enough to be in the US, this is a great opportunity to read the book before you see the adaptation on TV later this summer.

Have you read this novel before? How do you think it compares to the other Poirot stories Agatha Christie wrote?
What do you think of Ariadne Oliver, the sleuth/crime novelist? How do you think Ariadne Oliver would have investigated the case, had Poirot not agreed to help her?
The story was partly inspired by Agatha Christie's holiday home Greenway House - what role do you think the location plays in the novel?

Leave your thoughts, queries and questions below.

Any questions? Please email [email protected]

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy this book and it is one of the better ones with Ariadne, It is probably in my top 10 of Poirot books and No 3in the Poirot/Ariadne Category.
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    I am so excited to start this book......

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• maryamalbulushimaryamalbulushi Oman ✭✭✭
    i bought this book last week and finished reading it before yesterday ... enjoyed it a lot, but there's two point i wanted to share 
    1- i think it's similar to the Hallow'en party novel 
    2- i don't know why they thought that Ariadne can be the murderer it doesn't make sense !!!
    but over all i really enjoyed it 
    :\">
    We shall not hunt together again, my friend. Our first hunt was here — and our last ... They were good days. Yes, they have been good days...
    I can see the Halloween Party similarity, as Ariadne involves Poirot like she does with Third Girl and Elephants Can Remember, On The Other point The Inspector doesn't know Ariadne like Poirot does and he might have thought she did it to conjure up Publicity;
  • AriadneAriadne Texas, United States Investigator
    Hi,

I just recently found this site....it looks very interesting. About the book of the month reading......it appears that we all read at our own pace and then discuss when we like, is that right? I mean, there isn't a schedule? Thanks!

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    Ariadne said:
    Hi,

I just recently found this site....it looks very interesting. About the book of the month reading......it appears that we all read at our own pace and then discuss when we like, is that right? I mean, there isn't a schedule? Thanks!

Welcome Ariadne: Yes, we read at own pace...within the month........

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• AriadneAriadne Texas, United States Investigator
    Ok, thanks :)
  • Miss C.Miss C. Investigator
    I'm reading it.
    I was hoping to finish it by the end of this week, if I'm fortunate to have the time for myself. I can't wait.. still haven't "seen" the murder. But, non the less, the story is magnificent! I rather like the characters, they are so distinctive. :D
    Strange thing: I tend to imagine them diferent from what they appear on TV. Anyone else has this "problem"?
    It is a nice Idea but if people have read the book before they should still be able to participate in discussions asd long as they don't spoil the book for others and if people don't want to read it at the time specified they can just anot participate in the discussion so everybody can be happy.
  • I enjoyed the story, has anyone played the Dead Man's Folly App that was featured on this website some months ago? How did they find it?