Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

May 2014 Book of the Month: Sad Cypress

2»

Comments

• SunsetsSunsets Philippines Investigator
    Maybe for some people it seems like a boring novel but what made it really interesting to me is the personal lives of the characters because they seem so real. I really liked it, not for a moment did I question the nurse

• SunsetsSunsets Philippines Investigator
    Elinor seems like a nice person actually. I think that doctor was a nice partner for her, sweeter and ten times better than Roderick will ever be
  • @Sunsets, I agree with your - I never doubted the nurse! Sometimes AC draws your attention to the nurse by having her exceptionally young or pretty. But here she seemed capable and everything a nurse should be! And yes, I liked the doctor. Though for him it's just love from first sight - I mean we never really understand what drew him to Elinor. It's not like he knew her, and when he first met her she was engaged. He must have just really been attracted to her. It seems that AC often makes her doctors really nice, charming guys (even if they happen to be the murderer, they're really charming...).
  • Sad Cypress is a sensitive and informed novel. The suspense is definitely very good; but this novel has a poignancy that  goes beyond murder and detection. The main characters are caught in a welter of emotions that creates its own kind of struggle . Murder happens, yes! But the murder uncovers more than motives and manipulations. The victim's shadow never leaves the story. The drama of passion doesn't end with the murder. Elinor is not just angry; she is bewildered by Roddy's betrayal. Roddy is bewildered by his torment, and Mary is at the centre of it all. Is Mary as unaware as is supposed? Did she not harbor even the slightest desire to triumph over Elinor? Her death leaves these questions unanswered and she becomes some sort of a martyr. Elinor's character is one of AC's best creations. She is vulnerable, sophisticated, aloof,and above all a little too trusting. The plot has some fantastic twists and turns. However Poirot the psychologist is at his best. And one question has always exercised my understanding of the novel- does Elinor really achieve any closure , even at the end , when things go right for her? Could she really explain Roddy's change ? She accepted it , but did she really understand it?
  • It isn't often that "the good Lord" or Agatha Christie, give both looks and brains (and the two of them + riches - extremely rare!). For Mary to be so bewitching, is balanced by her being extremely simple. She's not clever, or sly enough to retain her village friends, nor is she able to move into a more cultivated society. It seems so akward - her leaving to become a nurse, before the trial is over and there are still loose ends, but for a long time she's been at a loose end. Becoming a nurse will help her form an identity. She doesn't even discover that the man she thought was her father, wasn't really related to her until she grows up. Another girl might have guessed earlier.
    I'd like to think that Elinor does find closure and happiness. She's severe on herself but hopefully she'll learn to relax somewhat. I always thought she understood Roddy very much; it's what helped her hold on to him for as long as she did.
  • MissQuinMissQuin ✭✭✭
    Sad Cypress is one of my favourite Poirot novels and I think it's unfairly underated. . The story works very well on a emotional level. There is a melancholy tone throughout most of the book which stems  from Elinor's feelings of jealousy, and hatred  and finally despair. Perhaps because of her complex nature, she  isn't as well liked as alot of AC's female lead chaceters. Yet she's like Jacqueline De Bellefort in many ways, because she loves someone so entirely, it  dominates her life. But whereas Jackie was openly emotional, Elinor keeps all her feelings inside, remaining impassive on the inside and it  torments her  inwardly.

I love the fact that there was a chance of a happy ending. 

I thought that the crime was so well executed. First the Nurse seemed to have no motive. Secondly the way she was able to take poison and inject herself was so cleverly done.  Agatha Christie's medical knowledge really hepled here.
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • DaphneDaphne Canada Investigator
    Was it ever revealed who wrote the anonymous letter? I thought it must be Mrs. Bishop, but I don't know if she would have been clever enough to disguise her class and education by such poor writing. My othe guess was Mary's father, motivated by spite against her.
  • Daphne said:
    Was it ever revealed who wrote the anonymous letter? I thought it must be Mrs. Bishop, but I don't know if she would have been clever enough to disguise her class and education by such poor writing. My othe guess was Mary's father, motivated by spite against her.
    I thought it was the murderer who wrote the letter.
2»