Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Books like Agatha's.

Comments

• CarrieCarrie Derby, United Kingdom Investigator
    For those looking for Agatha Christie-like books, I would recommend Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver.  I know Wentworth, like others of the era, has her critics, but I personally prefer Miss Silver to Miss Marple, she is gentler and more human somehow, if rather mannered.  The novels are of a more domestic type, and without the 'twist in the tail' Christie is known for.  Some of the novels are less good than others, I would recommend The Chinese Shawl, The Fingerprint or The Girl In The Cellar as a starting point.  The other thing to point out is that Wentworth was slightly older than Christie and really is of the previous generation with different taste and ideas.
    Other authors I would recommend are Carola Dunn (Daisy Dalrymple mysteries), Catriona McPherson (Dandy Gilver) and Ellis Peters' Cadfael novels.  I have tried the Agatha Raisin ones, and also James Anderson but didn't like them.
  • Yes! Patricia Wentworth novels are really good. They have a quaint old world charm combined with a quiet strength . Miss Silver is the genteel, independent lady who is actually well ahead of her times. It would be an interesting exercise to study these two lady detectives and then do an analysis.I totally agree with Carrie. 
  • lillittlillitt Investigator
    Hi! Ever since I first fell in love with Dame Agatha's work, I've been on a quest for similar authors... and I have to say there's nobody like her, according to me, at least... The only other author whose clever plotting and ability to keep me guessing until the end has kept me just as hooked is Sue Grafton, with her Alphabet Crime series. The style, the setting, etc. are completely different, but the pleasure of the mystery is there in full force and that's something I find missing in most other authors I've explored.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simon Brett writes 3 different Series of Books, The Charles Paris Books, and The Melita Pargetter Books which I enjoy and the Farthering Books (I might have the name wrong) which I have not read, The last set is 2 women which probably due to the time when she was writing didn't do which is a great shame. James Anderson wrote a trilogy of books which are excellent which are a lot like the Bundle Books
  • StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece Investigator
    There's a Greek author, Athena Kakouri whose style resembles AC's style a lot. She was given the title Greek Agatha Christie. I read her first book. It was marvelous.
    Old Sins Have Long Shadows
      Elephants can Remember

I'm writing my Christie! Check it Out

What is her Sleuth like? Age, Sex, with a side-kick?
  • What a fascinating question!
    The Georgette Heyer novels I have are Regency romances, so I wouldn't compare them to AC! They're remarkable for their depiction of the dress, language, and general settings of that time in English history. I find that they make for a fast-paced read, but not for any mystery contained in their pages. Rather, for the successful outcome of the love story, and the spirited characters one grows fond of and wishes everything to turn out well for, somehow. And it always does.
    Lilian Jackson Bruan has a very popular "The Cat Who..." series. It takes place in far north America, Moose country, and the male detective (he has a weekly column in the paper, and investigates everything that goes on in his community) is recognized by his distinctive mustache...Sprinkled with Shakespearean quotes, and the sense of village life - yet with a certain sophistication, it's a very pleasant read.
    For even more atmosphere, I adore the series "The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries" by Emily Brightwell. Set in Victorean England, the widowed Mrs. Jeffries becomes housekeeper to a frequently baffled police inspector, and sets her household staff to work at investigating the crime - and helping the inspector (unknown to him) solve the case. They find it much more enjoyable than their housework...
    I find P.D. James well-conceived; his detective's talent for poetry as well as detection. (Like Holmes and the violin).

Thankyou Shifra, I have been racking my brains trying to remember which Author I was thinking of, It is Emily Brightwell, I saw her books mentioned somewhere and forgot her name so thank you.

I have some of Georgette Heyer's Murder Mysteries but haven't got round to reading them yet,

• You're very welcome, @Tommy_A_Jones. I had no idea Georgette Heyer wrote murder mysteries, like I said - all I know from her are the regency romances (and that's all I've seen sold, too, when I searched). But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised - such a prolific writer...
    I don't know what her sleuth is like, I might get round to reading them one day.