What was the first Agatha Christie adaptation you ever saw on television?

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
Mine was the David Suchet Poirot episode "The Plymouth Express."  I remember watching at my grandmother's house.
Tagged:

Comments

• It was the David Suchet adaptation of Lord Edgware Dies. 

“Go, my child. Your place is with the living. I will remain here with the dead.” ― Poirot, The Hollow 

• CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States Investigator
    I can't remember, either the original Death on the Nile or the 1940 And Then There Were None. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    Probably the Original Evil Under The Sun

Maybe The Original Death On The Nile
  • I think it would have been the Joan Hickson version of "The Body in the Library", when it was first broadcast in Australia sometime in late 1986 or early 1987. I know this because I was pregnant with my 4th child at the time and I remember the morning sickness I was experiencing at the time this program first began.
    I think it would have been the Film Death On The Nile with Peter Ustinov or Evil Under The Sun with Peter Ustinov.
  • I'm not sure, but I think it was either "Evil under the Sun" with Peter Ustinov or "Murder on the Orient Express" with Albert Finney. I still love them both. Later I got hold of all the Peter Ustinov Poirot movies, but "Evil under the Sun" remained my favorite (though some of the changes from the book annoyed me).
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    What changes did you find annoying, taliavishay-arbel?
  • edited February 5
    @GKCFan, I know your question was geared towards Talia but I have to say that I found the change to Linda to Lionel Marshall in the David Suchet version very annoying and I felt like Diana Rigg in the Ustinov version left an indelible mark as Arlena Marshall although she wasn't b*tchy in the book as in the film but the actress who played Arlena just didn't leave much of a memorable performance. I did love the location in the Suchet film which was more like the book than the Ustinov version but the Ustinov version was more colorful and the characters were as were than the Suchet version. But overall I enjoyed the book way more than the two films and I've had that opinion since the original airdate of the Suchet version. Though I did like . . . 
    how in the Suchet version the ending from the book was kept when Patrick Redfern attempted to strangle Poirot which wasn't in the Ustinov film. It was like Redfern's calling card for getting rid of anyone in his way

“Go, my child. Your place is with the living. I will remain here with the dead.” ― Poirot, The Hollow 

• taliavishay-arbeltaliavishay-arbel ✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    Patrick certainly tried to strangle Poirot in the Ustinov film! I remember the ending, where Irene Castle is ministering to him afterwards... I did like the bitchy Arlena in the Ustinov version (I didn't see the Suchet version) because her bitchiness made Linda's hatred more understandible and gave her a real motive. I missed the Rosemond character in the movie - I really liked her in the book. In the Ustinov movie, they gave her role as Linda's supporter and Marshal's old friend to hotel owner Irene Castle (played by Maggie Smith), who was wonderful, but different. (in the book, Mrs. Castle, the hotel owner, has a very minor role and no known first name, and Rosemond, a fashion designer, is Marshal's childhood friend and Linda's supporter). What I wasn't crazy about in the Ustinov film was the way they gave everyone a connection with Arlena and a motive - it made the plot tighter, but was a bit too much, I felt - especially the Gardiner connection fell flat for me.  @CristieFanForLife - of course you can answer questions refered to me! First of all this is a public forum, and secondly - this way I get to see your viewpoint, which is more interesting for me than my own (which I know already)!