MYSTERY MAN'S MOTIVE

MariaMaria Pichincha, Ecuador Investigator
edited October 2013 in Mystery Man Game 2013
I think most of us, at least for what I've seen in the threads, have found the 8 links and got who is the Mystery Man. Now we have to figure out the motive.

As I said in a previous thread, with the final twist around the last murder, we should go back and review all the testimonies of our original 8 suspects/victims. Henry's statement pops up. But what really intrigues me the most is WHY DID THE MYSTERY MAN DECIDED TO KILL JESSICA AND NOT FERN? What part did Mystic Margot play in this whole thing? I mean, why did she get involved in all this? What was she going to gain with all this? And finally, how did the Mystery Man know everything he/she did? Did his/her knowledge come from his/her position or from his/her relationship with one of the victims?

Comments

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

I think we should wait one more day before going on. :)

• MariaMaria Pichincha, Ecuador Investigator
    Given her profession, I think that she was the one who most certainly had committed a "crime", and I say "crime" because it depends on what you consider a crime. I mean, her actions could have led to a patient's dead, but it doesn't mean she planned to kill that person. So, for me, her previous "crime" could be regligent patient care bordering the line of medical malpractice.
    Actually, this kind of fits well to the last murder, our Mystery Man knew that, if she was on duty when the last murder was committed and someone from the hospital staff could be blamed for it, it was a perfect oportunity to frame her...
  • Delicious_DeathDelicious_Death Investigator
    edited October 2013

I'm having a problem deciding how to approach this last stage of the game.  If I could ask two questions of the compilers of the game they would be:

1.  Are they "playing fair" with us in the true sense of a Christie murder mystery, i.e. have we been given all the clues we need to work out the motive if we are sharp enough to see those clues? 

or

2.  Are we supposed to figure out a motive using guesswork, intuition and imagination?

At the moment I'm thinking it's the latter.  I can see a motive but to make sense of the entire proceedings I need to tie up a lot (and I mean a lot) of loose ends, and so far I can't find sufficient information to do that. 

edited October 2013

I will also post my questions now. I did it yesterday, but decided it might be too early (but as Maria already commented on them before I can edit them, here is once again what bothers me):

Is the Mystery Man a man or a woman? This is driving me crazy!
    I also think I have found a satisfactory motive and it answers the questions Maria has mentioned, but only one thing is still blur to me - the very first event which made the Myster Man do all this. I believe Margot was an accomplice and her death was planned from the beginning, without she knowing it. Jessica, however, was murdered, because she about to know what was going on. I also think Fern was planned to be the last one and blamed for all this. Why - this is what I still look for. But I have an idea, althought it does not seem to be the right one.
    Anyway, my other question is did Fern have a past crime and what was it? Maria already commented on this, but the correct answer could only break my current theory...

@Delicious_Death: I used everything we know as of now to come up with my theory. However, only the very first event is slipping away. But I have noticed such things in Christie's works, too. You might know who is the murderer and why, but there is always one very first event you cannot come up with just by reading the book. These are usually found by the detectives via searching in records for the past and are revealed at the end of the book. Or they are known to the residents of the town, but here - we are not living in St Mary Mead (unfortunately).
    Anyway, I do not think my theory is the correct one, but it satisfies me and I will post it at the end. :)

• anamarija.mladosicanamarija.mladosic Investigator
    edited October 2013
    I have sent my theory about the motive. Most probably won't be the wining one, but doesn't really matter to me, it was a great fun to be part of this game
    :)

• cphh1007cphh1007 New York, United States Investigator
    Currently, I am with Lyubomir.  Obviously, the motives are apparent for everyone as it has become apparent that they are being killed because of past crimes.  I also agree in regard to Margot, Jessica and about Fern.  The first two were killed to cover up the story hat they knew about, and Fern was spared to be put at guilt (as she has been).  Who exactly NK is has been bothering me.  No one I can think of or researched for has initials N. K. in any novel or in any relation with Christie.  
    It is that event that sparked N.K.'s murder spree that we don't have and don't think we will have (just as Christie does, like Lyubomir explains)  While this is unfortunate, I am going to email my best interpretation of the evidence and hope it is clear.  Happily confused... CH

I will also post my questions now. I did it yesterday, but decided it might be too early (but as Maria already commented on them before I can edit them, here is once again what bothers me):

I also think I have found a satisfactory motive and it answers the questions Maria has mentioned, but only one thing is still blur to me - the very first event which made the Myster Man do all this. I believe Margot was an accomplice and her death was planned from the beginning, without she knowing it. Jessica, however, was murdered, because she about to know what was going on. I also think Fern was planned to be the last one and blamed for all this. Why - this is what I still look for. But I have an idea, althought it does not seem to be the right one.
    Anyway, my other question is did Fern have a past crime and what was it? Maria already commented on this, but the correct answer could only break my current theory...

@Delicious_Death: I used everything we know as of now to come up with my theory. However, only the very first event is slipping away. But I have noticed such things in Christie's works, too. You might know who is the murderer and why, but there is always one very first event you cannot come up with just by reading the book. These are usually found by the detectives via searching in records for the past and are revealed at the end of the book. Or they are known to the residents of the town, but here - we are not living in St Mary Mead (unfortunately).
    Anyway, I do not think my theory is the correct one, but it satisfies me and I will post it at the end. :)

There's one thing bothering me about Jessica's dead, more exactly her "past crime", which is is only a crime if killing the language could be considered a crime...

I went all over the FB posts where the spelling mistakes were and all of them were written by NK Reporter. So, why was this "crime" Jessica's?

It also bothers me that we don't have an actual name, as you said, we have an identity but we don't know if this is even a real person or a secret identity...

By the time I read your message, I couldn't edit my posts anymore :(

Maria said:
    There's one thing bothering me about Jessica's dead, more exactly her "past crime", which is is only a crime if killing the language could be considered a crime...

I went all over the FB posts where the spelling mistakes were and all of them were written by NK Reporter. So, why was this "crime" Jessica's?

It also bothers me that we don't have an actual name, as you said, we have an identity but we don't know if this is even a real person or a secret identity...
    Personally, I think reporter N.K. is a real person, different than the other nine. After all, he/she has a job as a reporter - how could they have a secret identity... I'd rather believe that Margot could really see the future. :P
    But, he/she could have a secret - either a relative to one of the nine other people, or an enemy, or something else. :)