Is Ariadne Oliver similar to Agatha Christie?

Does anybody else feel that Christie created the character of Ariadne Oliver in her own image? For Ex: Poirot is a Belgian while Ms Oliver's Character is a Finn....

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, It was Agatha Christie's attempt at poking fun at herself, she had a Forreign Sleuth who she got fed up of like Agatha Christie did
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    I agree. I must admit I adore Ariadne Oliver.  

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• I think that she might be a caricature of Agatha Christie, an over exaggerated  version of herself. AC wasn't a die hard feminist like Mrs Oliver. As far as I know, AC never got mixed up in a real life murder!
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • MonAmiMonAmi Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Fan
    Since the first book with Ariadne, I thought that she was so similar to AC... I love Ariadne in the books and in the series as well! She's so funny and somehow attractive! I loved her in Third Girl when she has been attacked! hahaha
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    Some call Ariadne Oliver a self-parody, but I think that Mrs. Oliver is an original character shaped by Christie's own experiences and her perception of her own public image.
  • I agree cause now i'm reading Elephant can remember ,Oliver and Christie look the seems
  • In addition to what @MissQuin and @Tommy_A_Jones have written, there's also the way the two of them never knew what to say to the public, tried to stay out of limelight... poked fun at their books while also showing the tremendous creative energy it took. I think there's one place where A.C. actually has Ariadne Oliver lay claim to a novel that she herself wrote.
    There's also what to be said for @GKCfan's point of view: all the small characteristics of Ariadne Oliver: her addiction to apples, her constant varying hair arrangements, her small car, her tropical jungle papered living room, etc. She's as unique a character, in her own way, as is Hercule Poirot. 
    Though she might serve as a vehicle for A.C.'s self-amusement, or self-expression.
  • From Wikipedia:
    Christie was quoted as saying, "I never take my stories from real life, but the character of Ariadne Oliver does have a strong dash of myself." The author of the article went on to state, "It is perfectly true that sometimes she works at her stories in a large old-fashioned bath, eating apples and depositing the cores on the wide mahogany surround." John Bull Magazine, 11 August 1956. Volume 100, Number 2615 (p. 3)

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia ✭✭✭
    siddharthSatpathyshifra.shomron comments their can be no question about it. AC created the character of Ariadne Oliver in her own image. What puzzles me is that AC never mentions Ariadne Oliver in her Autobiography which make Ariadne Oliver the only main AC character not to rate a mention in her Autobiography.  
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    You are quite right@shifra.shomron. Agatha Christie did actually have Ariadne Oliver lay claim to a novel that she herself wrote. In Cards on the Table, there is a reference to Mrs Oliver's book The Body in the Library. This is as I am sure you know an Agatha Christie novel featuring Miss Marple.