Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

October's Book of the Month - The Pale Horse

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    Tommy_A_Jones, you only need to put a "@" before my name if you want to make sure I answer a question fast, or if you want to draw my attention to something.  I will most likely see something anyway, but the tag makes sure I don't miss it.  Thanks!
  • I  think it is a good novel - very underrated.  My one criticism would be "the world" so to speak is too large. I wish the characters had been closer, if that makes sense.  More tight knit and not so geographically distant.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the Clarification, Are you The Moderator?
    I'm one of the moderators– Tuppence is another one.
    Just wondered.
    Thanks for asking– please let me know if there's anything we can do to make the forum a more interesting and enjoyable experience!
    Thanks, I will
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm a bit late to this discussion and I've been away from this site for a long time. Pale Horse is one of my favourites AC books, being definitely in my top 5. This is the only book I find she combines a thriller, a whodunnit and the feeling of the supernatural. As everyone else has mentioned, the fact that different characters from other books get together o are mentioned (that old lady with the milk...) makes me feel AC universe in a more coherent and cohesive way. I also like the main two characters, who remind me of those from Why didn't they ask Evans? or Tommy and Tuppence, but more serious and appropiate to the darker tone of this story.
  • Well, I'm a bit late to this discussion and I've been away from this site for a long time. Pale Horse is one of my favourites AC books, being definitely in my top 5. This is the only book I find she combines a thriller, a whodunnit and the feeling of the supernatural. As everyone else has mentioned, the fact that different characters from other books get together o are mentioned (that old lady with the milk...) makes me feel AC universe in a more coherent and cohesive way. I also like the main two characters, who remind me of those from Why didn't they ask Evans? or Tommy and Tuppence, but more serious and appropiate to the darker tone of this story.
    I hate how people find Agatha Christie merely a "cozy" writer which sometimes gives off the impression that Christie's books are soft, fuzzy, and cute like what you see in many modern mysteries today that is under the cozy label, and rightfully so too. But The Pale Horse and even Endless Night, two books in the latter half of her career are not cozy. What's so cozy about two girls in a fight and one girl pulling the other's hair from her scalp? That's right out of The Pale Horse. Christie didn't need to make her books graphic and have them soaked with blood in order to have a dark tone. She could be just as dark and create a psychological story just as many modern mystery writers today, including the late Ruth Rendell with her psychological mysteries under the pseudonym Barbara Vine. If Christie lived longer throughout the 70s and into the 80s, perhaps she might have written more books in the vein of The Pale Horse and Endless Night. I also love how in The Pale Horse, she takes characters from other stories and has them make their own appearance, without Poirot or Miss Marple. This makes the characters feel more real and creates as you said a more coherent and cohesive world of her own. It makes her books even more exciting to read as we come across a character from another book and we guess which one that character appeared in. 

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
  • michealclarkmichealclark London,uk Fan
    The plot of The light Horse locations it squarely in that sub-category of Christie novel, the conspiracy thriller. generally, these rank among my least preferred of her books, in large part due to their incredibly dubious dabblings into political intrigue. UK Best Essay Writer