At Bertram's Hotel

LaisaacLaisaac Ostergotlands Lan, Sweden Investigator
What is your opinion on 'At Bertram's Hotel'? I saw the TV-adaption with Geraldine McEwan before I read the book, and I really liked it. But then I read the book and I thought it wasn't as good (shame on me). What do you think?
Tagged:

Comments

• MissQuinMissQuin ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I first read the book and there are ideas in it that I liked.  SPOILERS!!!!!!!!    I thought the identity fraud plot was a clever idea and ahead of it's time. 

I confess, I hated the McEwan version! But then I had read the book, so I kept comparing it. I just didn't like anything. How can I sum up the adaptation? It's difficult. It had women flipping over tables, wool balls being thrown around, thieves, smuggling, murderers.  Also a secret Nazi hunter that is so secret, he conveniently left a Swastika in his hotel room!! I really thought how the murder was done was just far fetched. I don't know that it could even work.

But I don't know how popular the McEwan adapt was. I think that on the old AC forum some people liked it. It has good settings and music at least. Did you guess the murderer at all Laissaac? 

I did like the Hickson version. I stayed close to the plot without having the extra long bits from the book that dragged.

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

I like the book, I didn't like the McKewen Adaptation but I liked the beginning, at the beginning someon says Miss Otis is unable to see you today which is a song the title of which was inspird by a real Occurrence, I also liked the Detective but I am afraid the Adaptation quickly goes down hill IMHO.

I love the Hickson  Adaptaton,, I think the Cast is brilliant, Peter Baldwin, Caroline Blackiston, Helena Michelle and the woman who played Lady Selina Hazy   

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    Just watched and truly like it.......

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    I read the book and watched the movie. The film is awful (McEwan version)! It's  confused, poorly done and don't have anything to do with the original plot (the book). It was not an adaption. Someone just used A. C. name and fame to write your own detective story! I think it was one of the worst adaptions!
    Not as bad as Nemesis or Sleeping Murder.
    Not as bad as Nemesis or Sleeping Murder.
    They are on my list too. By the way, McEwan version's are dreadful, in general! They're indelible, but not in a good way.
  • LaisaacLaisaac Ostergotlands Lan, Sweden Investigator
    edited March 2016
    I guess my mistake was to see the film adaption before I read the book. As you all say, the book and the McEwan adaption had almost nothing at all to do with each other, and it's annoying to keep comparing them because they're so different.

I didn't guess the murderer, MissQuin, neither in the book or the adaption (it was a long time between them), although I'm normally not that good at guessing the murderer.

YES!!!

You did it!  You found the fourth little soldier boy!

You may be surprised to know that though the current television adaptation of And Then There Were None sets the story on the traditional “Soldier Island,” most of the English-language movie adaptations move the action elsewhere.  While the 1945 film version uses the traditional island off the coast of England, the 1965 remake sets the story in an isolated chalet in the snow-covered mountains.  (Incidentally, that 1965 version includes a gimmick at the end.  Shortly before the villain is revealed, the action pauses and a narrator provides a series of clues, and the viewers are given one minute to figure out whodunit before the last scene is played.)  The 1974 version takes place in a hotel surrounded by the Iranian desert.  The 1989 adaptation brings the characters on an African safari, and the guests are abandoned in an out-of-the-way camp. 

And before you ask, yes, there’s another word written on the soldier boy statuette.  “Taylor.”  All four words so far have something in common, but what does that mean?

I mean not as bad as those 2 Adaptations, The Books are Excellent
    The books are very good, especially Sleeping Murder. But  the adaptations (Sleeping Murder, Nemesis and At Bertram's Hotel and others) are really, really bad.
    I love Sleeping Murder it is one of my 3 favourites