7 new TV adaptations agreed for BBC One

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin

Agatha Christie Productions Ltd and BBC One have cemented a unique production deal that will see Agatha Christie Ltd‘s production arm deliver seven new Christie adaptations over the next four years and will begin by working with leading indie Mammoth Screen on the first of these adaptations.

The first novel to be adapted is one of Agatha Christie's personal favourites, Ordeal by Innocence, followed by a ground-breaking murder mystery set in Ancient Egypt, Death Comes As The End

Which other adaptations would you like to see?

Read the full story here: http://www.agathachristie.com/news/2016/seven-new-christie-dramas-promised-in-deal-with-bbc

Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com
Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2016
    I like the fact that Agatha Christie's non-Poirot and Miss Marple books are finally given full attention but what I'm concerned about is the quality of the productions and whether they will be faithful to the material instead of attempting to modernize and be on the cutting edge. If the recent And Then There Were None production is an indication of things to come then it's best to not even bother filming the books. 

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    According to the write up, it will be Christie's most celebrated works which are being adapted to make the remaining five of the seven, so it should be obvious which they will be: e.g., the good ones, which the critics like best - and not the weak ones.
  • @Griselda, which of the "good ones" do you think they will film? 

• GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    I think they should do The Crooked House, and do what I suggested on this forum, e.g. have SPOILER Josephine die when carrying out her 'accident' attempt using the stone and the outbuilding door. That way, the diary can be found later to reveal all, and you won't have the controversial and shocking actual ending which appears in the novel. The  young child will come across as vulnerable and rather pathetic, instead of malevolent and lacking of the grace and innocence of childhood. She could be portrayed as a victim of neglect owing to the self-absorption of her egotistical parents - and nice parallels could be implied with today's so called  'have it all' parents. It will make a nice little twist since audiences will think that Josephine has actually been murdered. Marks on the chair could point to the self-engineered nature of the 'accident' and the male protaganist could solve this riddle. The story would resonate well with our times: the self-made millionaire with the eye for new businesses (parallel today's tech millionaires), the work ethic of the elder daughter, and the fact that adult children can't actually afford to move out of home - and, surprisingly, are finding life and earning a good living harder than was the case for the previous generation.
  • I am so excited that one of my favorite Agatha Christie novels, Death Comes as the End, will be adapted into a tv movie! If I were to choose 5 other Agatha Christie novels to adapt faithfully into tv movies, I would choose The Sittaford Mystery, Murder is Easy, They Came to Baghdad, Appointment with Death, and Nemesis. I chose They Came to Baghdad because it is a very interesting work which, as far as I know, has not been filmed yet. I really enjoyed both The Sittaford Mystery and Murder is Easy and would like to see movie versions of them without Miss Marple grafted into the stories. The most recent tv movies of Appointment with Death and Nemesis were really atrocious and so I think both of those stellar novels deserve another chance.

Of course, in my dream world, Francesca Annis and James Warwick would reprise their roles of Tommy & Tuppence in new adaptations of N or M, By the Pricking of My Thumbs, and Postern of Fate.

I have not read Crooked House, Towards Zero, or The Man in the Brown Suit yet, but from what I hear, they might also be turned into some interesting tv movies.
  • edited August 2016
    @Griselda, here is an article about Crooked House coming to production, and the article was from 2012:

http://deadline.com/2012/07/sony-pictures-worldwide-acquisitions-buys-into-agatha-christies-crooked-house-297940/

I haven't heard anything else about it since. But with the new Witness For The Prosecution (with Ben Affleck directing and starring) and Murder On The Orient Express (with Kenneth Branaugh doing likewise) films hitting the big screen I'm sure Crooked House will as well. If not the big screen it might be a part of the 7 film deal with BBC One.....or it might hit both.

But what worries me are the unnecessary liberties these films might have -- modernizing, adding senseless scenes which Agatha Christie would never write in her books

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    I am really Excited by this, Which 'The Good Ones' are is a matter of Opinion, I am glad Ordeal by Innocense and Death Comes As The End, The latter because I am not keen on it so whatever they do can only be an improvement, If I could choose others for them to do for that reason I would choose Passenger To Frankfurt, Destination unknown, They Came To Baghdad and Sparkling Cyanide, I also think they might improve Crooked House but I am really interested to see who someone might cast as Battle and who the Beeb would choose as Bundle, Caterham and Codders so I hope they do the Bundle Books and The other 2 non-Poirot Bundle Books and I would also choose The Man In The Brown Suit, I would just ask one thing, PLEASE don't put David Walliams in any, Pretty Please.
  • @P_Lombard, I wish Francesca Annis and James Warwick would reprise their roles too. It's time for them to finish the T&T stories. In my mind's eye they ARE T&T! Annis & Warwick would be the appropriate age now to play in these late stories from the series.

Also please post more on the forum P_Lombard. Would love to hear more interesting insight and discussion from another Christie fan since the forum isn't quite as busy as before.

• cameronjhwcameronjhw Texas, United States Investigator
    I'm glad that the BBC has lined up seven more TV adaptations of Christie's works as well as doing a new two-part version of Witness for the Prosecution.  Although I don't see why they are doing another version of the ABC Murders. I thought the Suchet version from the Poirot series was handled very nicely.  However, I was glad to hear that Ordeal by Innocence would be one of the new ones even though I've seen the one done on the Marple series with Geraldine McEwan.  i didn't like that one too much because of the inclusion of Miss Marple.  Hopefully the new one will capture the tense psychological mood and suspense of the original novel.  I was very happy to hear that there also will be a new adaptation of Death Comes as the End.  I thought the book was an intriguing novel because of it being the historical mystery novel Christie wrote and I'm very curious as to how it will be portrayed on the small screen with its Ancient Egyptian setting around 2,000 BC.
    I think some of the other Christie works that could be perfect for these new TV adaptations are Crooked House (which is Christie's other personal favorite).  I've been wanting to see a new TV version of this novel because it never has been done before. Also it would be intriguing to see the odd Leonides family portrayed on TV but more importantly because of its shocking ending (Spoiler alert) the 11 year old child Josephine as the killer.  Considering how in today's society this particular ending is shockingly true and disturbing. Other Christie novels that I think they should do as well are Sparkling Cyanide (which I remember seeing as an American TV movie set in modern-day America and I didn't really like the actors in that one)Other ones they should do are Murder is Easy, Endless Night, and a TV version of The Mousetrap/Three Blind Mice.  All of the Poirot novels and most of the stories have been done and so have the the Marple novels.  I think they should focus on the stand-alone Christie novels especially ones that were done on the Marple series which to me was a bad idea to do.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    A pretty good version of Endless Night was on television in  the UK a couple of Christmases ago. Check it out. The lead character was superb, and will surely be asked to play the part of a sociopath in future.