The Thirteen Problems

Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
I have just read The Thirteen Problems and have concluded that I prefer the 2nd Gathering to the 1st and I realise Jane Hellier is not so unfair as I previously thought as Raymond didn't know the solution to Ingots of Gold did he and nor did Joan/Joyce with The Bloodstained Pavement, What to others think of this book?

Comments

• I feel more about individual stories than about the cycles. I liked The bloodstained pavement, not just for the plot (who's main "twist" is repeated in reverse in one of the most famous Poirot books) but for the fact that Joyce took the initiative and went to the police station when she came across the same situation for the second time - braving ridicule to do the right thing and protect the wife. A lot of tragedies and sadness in this world could be prevented if people acted "in scorn of consequence", 
    On the other hand, I liked "The herb of death" because of the different format.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    I liked both of those stories, I preferred The Herb of Death though, "FIRST BOY"
  • katiebowenblogkatiebowenblog Worcester, United Kingdom Investigator
  • I really Enjoyed the Herb of Death as Well
    The only one that really irritated me was The Bungalow
  • Me too. It was messy (which made sense, since the narrator was rather flaky) but didn't make for good reading.
    No, I am glad that one isn't the last in the Book, Am I the only one who wants to slap Raymond when he is narrating Ingots of Gold? Mind you I want to slap him I'm every story he is in.
  • taliavishay-arbeltaliavishay-arbel ✭✭✭
    edited September 29

He is a real pain in the back***e!

He has all the attributes I hate in a Man who hasn't broken the Law, he is Patronising,  Pious and Egotistical and I bet he does things just for show.
  • He has all the attributes I hate in a Man who hasn't broken the Law, he is Patronising,  Pious and Egotistical and I bet he does things just for show.
    All of that, and he also comes across as sneering at Miss Marple and less "intellectual" people (like Gwenda in Sleeping Murder). However, his one saving grace is that he does take care of Miss Marple, paying for caretakers when she needs them (Lucy Eylesbarrow and Miss Knight) and for vacations (Bertram's Hotel and the Caribbean holiday). However, my feeling is that Miss Marple is very tolerant of him - I would sock him one!