Angelina Jolie Circles ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake

Comments

• GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    Miss Debenham is the significant part which she would want, presumably, although she looks the part to play the Countess, the SPOILER, sister of the child's mother.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    One report says she'd play Mrs. Hubbard, but the Countess seems to me to be the best role for her.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. Of all the roles, on the surface, the Countess role seems the obvious one. That said, the Countess role is  muted, owing to the Countess's apparent lack of confidence/ diffidence because of her being upset. She seems to be an object of the meditations of others, rather than the subject of any of the action. I don't see Angelina Jolie being able to dim her shining light and immense vitality to inhabit such a role. However, the actress certainly looks like a countess - or a queen, also. There is an enormous sincerity of purpose about Angelina. Her whole life is what she believes in, a kind of purity and singularity of being about her. On the other hand, Mrs Hubbard, as a person, as an actor, as a schemer pretending to be what she is not, is all artifice, projection to achieve a desired effect, and smoke screen. You sense the history, the compensation for not being the 'beautiful lead star' by becoming the  character actress. ( They seem to say that you are either a star or a character actress). I don't see Ms Jolie being able to convey this undercurrent if she is given the Mrs Hubbard role. But if, as I mentioned before, if Kenneth Branagh can cast, for the stage, the mature Derek Jacobi as Romeo's friend Mercutio, anything is possible. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    There Is or was an Actress who played a Member of The IRS in some Episodes of Diagnosis \murder, she could play Mrs Hubbard, I have no idea what her name is or if she is still alive, does anyone know who I mean? And there is of course Melicent Martin
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    How old is Mrs Hubbard supposed to be? Meryl Streep might be good, or maybe an actress who doesn't usually do character parts could try it. Maybe, Goldie Hawn could try it - stepping out of type.

Best of all, though,  I suppose Emma Thompson would give it a good bash, as they say, if Kenneth Branagh wanted to do something interesting and cast his ex-wife. Actually, I'd urge fellow fans to google images for her, and see how she looks as if  she'd fit the part well: she'd got that comic actress dimension. It is the sort of role which her mother, Phyllida Law, would have played, and I think Ms Thompson would fancy the idea of being like her mother since she often acts in pieces with her. Also, Emma Thompson likes to be thought of as a serious actress, which she is, and the great actress Ms Arden (?) would be a kind of role model I think  which she would want to channel.  Emma Thompson definitely has that flexibility, and also, as a person, like Ms Arden, passionate about  causes and justice. Emma Thompson is immensely courageous. She would be brilliant!!

I think to stack the production with mega-names and huge, epic characters who've made a significant contribution, politically, to the world would be a great way to make this production different to what has been managed before. You'd be presenting the killing as a cause: the people fighting back when society's system of law has let them down. You'd be edging forward the political interpretation of the murder - the cause of natural justice. The diverse characters who take place stand for everyman - the people taking law into their own hands. It would have a Lord of the Flies dimension. What happens when the rule of law fails, and what is meant by civilization.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

Meryl Streep is a great Idea and if you put her into the Hat you must also put Glen Close into it as well as Emma Thompson AND Philida Law(I would choose Imelda Staunton). and what about Anne Hathaway as the Countess?

• GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    Perfect! I agree with all your choices.
  • Madame_DoyleMadame_Doyle USA ✭✭✭
    I can't see Angelina Jolie taking a more minor role such as the sister (Countess) when there are better roles available in this story.  Linda Arden seems the most likely, although if you consider what was done with the Suchet version in giving Mary Debenham a greater part in the action, it's possible that even the Countess' role might be rewritten.  Since she's a reserved and skittish character in the book, it wouldn't make sense to write her as the main force behind this revenge, although the scriptwriters might do whatever they feel like doing.  I do think it's better to get American actors to play American roles, such as Linda Arden, because the English actors usually sound like they are from Chicago and generally don't do American accents very well.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    Am I right in saying that years ago Kenneth Branagh used to make films and put a lot of his friends and cronies in them.....or is that my imagination playing tricks on me?
  • Madame_DoyleMadame_Doyle USA ✭✭✭
    @Griselda, it does seem like it worked out that way, but when he was doing that, all of a sudden there was a remake being done of all the literary "classics" and so it would have been the same pool of actors at the time, at least the ones who would be most suitable for those types of roles.