Tommy and Tuppence

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought in the books Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson were the same age.
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    I always thought in the books Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson were the same age.

I did too....

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014

glalonzo0408Tommy_A_Jones. Watson tells us in "A Study in Scarlett" that he received his MD in 1878. If we assumed Watson was 25 when he got his MD, we can guess he was born around 1853. 

In "His Last Bow", Holmes is given as sixty. As this took place on the eve of the First World War, that places his birth around 1854. 

So Holmes and Watson were around the same age. 

• CaptainHastingsCaptainHastings Illinois, United States Investigator
    I am in the process of reading my first Tommy and Tuppence novel.  I chose The Secret Adversary since it is the first of the novels in which this couple are the sleuths.  And I have to say, I'm really enjoying it.  I think I have it figured out, and frankly, I like when I can solve a Christie.  And if she stumped me, there's a certain joy in being duped too!  But I have to say I really like these characters and there's a whole lot of daring action in this book.  It reminds me of The Big Four, and unlike many, I actually enjoyed that book (or series of short stories interlinked with an overarching framing story.)  I like how both Tommy and Tuppence have an appreciation for the finer things in life while both having little money.  Their dining experiences are very well-described.  Makes me hunger for those authentic high teas and steak 'n chips. 
    Enjoy it.
  • AriadneAriadne Texas, United States Investigator
    MissQuin said:
    Has anyone seen the TV series? I actually really liked it. It was so obviously meant to be light and frothy and not intellectually demanding. In fact I watched it a few years ago, I found it a refreshing change to the usual bodies in a autopsy room that modern TV  are so fond of showing us! One of the best things was the costumes, so so glamorous. 

I watched the series a year or two ago, and even though almost all of the mysteries were too easy, imo, I still enjoyed them. And, yes! The costumes. Most of Tuppence's clothing was so lovely! Really enjoyed that. :)
    I am listening to N or M on CD and the actor who played Tommy in the 80's British TV series narrates the novel.  He has a good reading voice, but I don't care for how he voices Tuppence.  He makes her sound too eager with every line of her dialogue he voices.  Otherwise, he can do all sorts of accents quite convincingly.
    I have 2 Cassetttes of him reading some of Partners in Crime, The voice he uses for the voice of the Explorer is great, I think his Tuppence is Great, I think she is eager, I have N or read by Samantha Bond who is in the Hickson version of A Murder is Annonced, I think both her Tommy and Tuppence are excellent, I also have By The Pricking of My Thumbs read by her but am waiting until I re-read the book
    I did like his voicing of the Explorer in Partners in Crime.  His voice for Commander Haydock in N or M was also quite good and as I recall, similar to that of the Explorer.
    I liked his voice for the Explorer too,