Who is the Mystery Man?

LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in Mystery Man Game 2013
I hope it is proper for such a separate topic.
We are on about the half of the story. Here you can discuss who you think the Mystery Man is and what is their motive.
Do tell what you make from all deaths as of now, how you interpret the visions, the interviews with each character and what you think has happened in the past or behind the scenes to make the Mystery Man want all these deaths.

To start, as of now I think I found what I was looking for. Fern said in her last comment the following: "What's my past crime you ask? I honestly don't know, maybe I do deserve this, maybe it's all my fault." That makes me think that nevertheless when she dies, she might be the real victim the murderer wants, and the rest are just to hide the real motive for killing her, which would expose the murderer (just like in one Christie's novel).
Other than this, I think another motive could be justice or revenge. For the former - I do not see who is suitable of taking the role of a judge; it should be someone who knows about their past crimes and that they got away with them ones. For the latter - what connects all of the rest to one of them, who is the Mystery Man - I have not found as of now.
Please, tell your theories.

Comments

• MariaMaria Pichincha, Ecuador Investigator
    In the beginning, my theory was that someone was wronged by all or most of these people and wanted to take revenge because, maybe, all the crimes committed were also connected. Which would mean that Mystic Margot's death would only come as a result of her "clairvoyance". In other words, the Mystery Man would kill Margot only because she holds the key to unveil his/her identity.

This changed for me because of the reactions after the fourth murder. Just like you, the comments made after the fourth murder were very interesting, but for me the one that stood out was Mystic Margot's: "What have I done to deservethis? What a question! Just because the poor souls who have been murdered these last two weeks have alledgegly committed some past crime, it doesn't mean that I have. The real criminal here is the Mystery Man, and don't you forget that!" Also, she was the first to talk to the reporter.

This makes me re-think about her role in the whole thing. Why did she emphasized the "and don't you forget that!" Is she really a clairvoyant? Or did she already knew the crimes these people committed? In any case, she might have decided to serve justice by her own hand and made up the whole idea of a mystery killer. Of course, this is only a hunch based on her reaction to the question made by the reporter. This would fit with your justice theory.

However, I'm not sure if we should let go the idea of revenge just yet. I mean, maybe the nurse gave Roberta some medicine that she used to kill all her husbands and make it look like an accident while water-skiing. Maybe the architect found out and was blackmailing her instead of going to the police. At least these people I can connect. Or maybe, as you point out, it is just one of them who wronged Mystery Man and the other murders are hidding his motive, which must mean that he/she didn0t want the victims to be random, he/she also wanted to serve some justice since he/she had to commit such a horrible action.
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria ✭✭✭

To add up to my theory for revenge on one person and six others as victims - if there is only one possible explanation for one of the eight people to be murdered, and this explanation would directly lead to only one person who wants it (the Mystery Man), then he or she (the Mystery Man) would make up a whole new motive - justice - and decide to kill six more people so that the original motive would be hidden and the new would not lead to him/her (the Mystery Man).
    But I agree with Maria that there could also be several cases entangled in one.
    What I also agree with is Maria's interpretation of Margot's words. To be honest, Margot is on top of my list. Then it is the hotelier, then the architect, then Guto and just then it is Fern. From the rest, I completely delete only Ted. I hope he is not indeed the Mystery Man, or I will be very miserable. :D

• As the game is going further with the new deaths and statements, Margot is my No 1 suspect. But I think she has a collaborator. And that could be a hotelier or an architect
  • klauroseklaurose Investigator
    i have similar theories, i just feel that Margot would be too obvious, so she is just an accomplice right now for me. i guess we are all thinking about the ABC murders and Then there were none stories and also Cards on the table... anyway, any ideas what the missing letters could reveal? :)
    klaurose said:
    i have similar theories, i just feel that Margot would be too obvious, so she is just an accomplice right now for me. i guess we are all thinking about the ABC murders and Then there were none stories and also Cards on the table... anyway, any ideas what the missing letters could reveal? :)
    My guess: maybe a word that will take us somewhere on the website with another clue... I think that maybe we'll find the killer in a story, not a name but a personality... Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that a name would be too explicit...
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria ✭✭✭
    Maria said:
    klaurose said:
    My guess: maybe a word that will take us somewhere on the website with another clue... I think that maybe we'll find the killer in a story, not a name but a personality... Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that a name would be too explicit...

I thought the letters could come up to "hotelier", but with the newest hidden link, this can no longer be the case. Now, if it is the name of a character, only one could have his/her full first/last name arranged. The next letter would tell if this is still the case.

• klauroseklaurose Investigator
    i thought that too at the first and second clue, but then again, if they would lead to hotelier or any other word that we know of the characters, the creators of the game would have faced the fact that after the 5th clue, the murderer's identity is most probably already revealed for us, making the - let's say 3 - left murders quite uninteresting. so I hope it is less obvious and as Maria said, it will be another clue leading to something on the website.
    Maria said:
    klaurose said:

I thought the letters could come up to "hotelier", but with the newest hidden link, this can no longer be the case. Now, if it is the name of a character, only one could have his/her full first/last name arranged. The next letter would tell if this is still the case.

• HuilangHuilang Durham, United Kingdom Fan
    I just tuned into the game. Thank you guys for the hints in the forum... they were very helpful, especially at the beginning when I still hadn't figured out how to find the links. I then managed to find the last two clues by myself and I'm very proud of my accomplishments  :P

As for the whodunnit: if I'm not mistaken, two corpses haven't been found: one was on eBay, the other (maybe) buried under cement - and that hand could be anybody's, I guess. Even the murderer himself might have cut off his hand (127 hours style). That said, I'd like it for Guto Fernandez not to be the culprit, he just seems a poor devil whose crime was... come on, that is not even a crime. 
    Although his "crime" would indeed fit with his death "under the supermarket", which I think character-wise just ties him to the architect.

My thoughts on the murderer tend to lie more with an ABC plot than And Then There Were None, unless the culprit is Mystic Margot herself, whom for some reason decided to punish all the people she knew had committed a crime. It would make sense, but it seems a little stretched anyway. I mean, what we are missing here is a Judge Wargrave kind of character, that's why I believe it's more appropriate to think it an ABC plot: as some of you have said, all these murders are a distraction to cover ONE, really important murder. 

The key for all this, however, lies in the body. Judge Wargrave staged his own death without anyone else knowing because they were strayed on an island. Here there's police involved, and I bet the police can tell when they find a real corpse - so the murderer is either still standing or their body hasn't been found yet.

What do you guys think? :)
    I do see your point Huilang, it does seem like the killer is trying to hide a major murder behind a veil of "justice". If I have to pick one of our suspects/victims to fit the kind of character to do so, it'll be actually Guto, because if he was a monk or so, he would feel the need to make something right in the middle of all this bloodbath. And of course, we don't know if it was HIS body under all that concret. Besides, his "crime" is more a felony than an actual crime, and in a way, it seems like the murderer is either too evil to kill someone for that or to moralist... Hmmm... I think I'll have to keep visiting all my theories until we get another murder...
  • HuilangHuilang Durham, United Kingdom Fan
    Maria said:
    I do see your point Huilang, it does seem like the killer is trying to hide a major murder behind a veil of "justice". If I have to pick one of our suspects/victims to fit the kind of character to do so, it'll be actually Guto, because if he was a monk or so, he would feel the need to make something right in the middle of all this bloodbath. And of course, we don't know if it was HIS body under all that concret. Besides, his "crime" is more a felony than an actual crime, and in a way, it seems like the murderer is either too evil to kill someone for that or to moralist... Hmmm... I think I'll have to keep visiting all my theories until we get another murder...
    Agreed! I had thought about the monk thing as well - indeed, it would seem like he's the only one who could have some sort of motive for "punishing" all the others! And he did talk about "bad people" he was escaping from. Truth said, he seems the most likely culprit so far, if we go for a And Then There Were None theory. 

As for the missing letters, I think it will turn out to be an anagram to another clue - maybe the final one. 

Now we just have to wait until the next murder - making sure to understand whether the body has been found or not. I think so far we can rule out Roberta, Henry and Ted - if I am not mistaken all of their bodies have been found? 

How exciting!