Book of the Month - The Thirteen Problems

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin
This May we will be re-reading the Miss Marple short story collection, The Thirteen ProblemsThe Thirteen Problems was first published as a collection in the UK in 1932 and later under a different title, The Tuesday Night Murders, in the US in 1933. These were some of the first Miss Marple stories that Agatha Christie wrote, and the first in the collection, The Tuesday Night Club, was Miss Marple's debut in print when it was published in The Royal Magazine in 1927.

The original dustjacket blurb of the collection reads,'Each story is a little masterpiece of detection, clever and ingenious, with just that added twist that only Agatha Christie can give.'

Which of these short stories do you like the best?
Do you think that Miss Marple's character develops throughout the collection?
When comparing these stories to later Miss Marple novels, do you think Christie's style of writing changes or stays the same? 
Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    This is a wonderful Collection of Short Stories, I don't like "The Bungalow" or the woman who tells it and I only liked "Ingots of Gold" and "Idol Hands Of Astarte" 2nd Time around but I love the idea and Collection
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    I think that "Death by Drowning" is one of Christie's best stories.  The story takes a look at numerous aspects of village life, scandal, and Miss Marple knows who did it without even interviewing any of the suspects.
  • LeopoldoAtila LeopoldoAtila Investigator
    I've never read this book! I'll buy and start reading it as soon as possible.
  • I like all of them except for "The Bungalow" and "Ingots of Gold".

I think my favourite is "The Bloodstained Pavement" followed by "A Christmas Tragedy".

• I liked the whole collection, but I think my favourite is "The herb of death". It is different in that Mrs. Bantry can't tell a story, and the others elicit the details - including the characters and dynamics - bit by bit. It enabled me as a reader to be "on line" with the listeners. 
    I don't like those 2 either, I don't like Raymond and the Actress infuriates me, mI really can't stand those 2 or Raymond's Fiance, I love Dolly, if she had been a regular Side-kick that would have been Brilliant, Isn't Herb of Death the one with the Trifle? I realised today I have a book with all the Miss Marple Short stories in them, Heaven on a Book Shelf
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin
    Was it just the characters that made you dislike those two particular stories, or the story line too?
    Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com

Tuppence it was both in both cases, With Raymond, I think he is patronizing andb Conceited, Superior and Egotistical and Ingots of Gold not very interesting, with The Bungalow, I think The Actress is vain and stupid and exasperating and very annoying but at least she is Great in Strange Jest my favourite Miss Marple short story.

Thankyou GKCfan.

I don't like Joan either but like The Blood-stained Pavement.