What type of future content and discussions do you want to see in the Agatha Christie forum?

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin

The team at Agatha Christie Ltd are gearing up for an exciting couple of years ahead which sees the creation and release of a brand new feature film by Fox based on Murder on the Orient Express. We will also be celebrating one of Agatha Christie’s greatest creations, Hercule Poirot, with a new novel by Sophie Hannah this September.

There has recently been a reshuffle in the team at ACL and one of the aims this year is to be a better support and instigator of activity in the forum and to work with you to create content that you want to see and learn from. As part of this we are keen to understand what kind of features and content you would like to see in the forum? 

Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com

Comments

• Madame_DoyleMadame_Doyle USA ✭✭✭
    The member who goes by the name Griselda has posted some excellent suggestions for retaining the interest and participation of fans in a very recent thread.  I'm not sure if it's possible to link the thread here, but she has already taken the time to describe her ideal experience here.  She deserves credit for speaking up, and hopefully her input which she has already given will be acknowledged.

As for myself, what I would like to see most is a place on the forum to discuss the books only.  I don't care about the films or other events.  I am a lifelong fan of Agatha Christie's books, but I have zero interest in the adaptations.  Would it be possible to provide a forum for discussions of the text only?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    I would like more discussion on Supt Battle who is n my view an underrated Gem of a Character and I would like the old games back.
  • I'd like more focused discussions of books - including cross-references or links. E.g. if there is a thread on a certain book, and then a discussion of that book occurs in another thread, that the two be linked. I also enjoy discussions of recurring themes and motifs - We've had some, e.g. dominating parents, slightly criminal young men, the slippery road from mild crime to murder. I enjoy these discussions. About book of the month - seems to have disappeared from the discussions lately. It might be a good idea to have it again, and to announce the book of the month a week before the beginning of the month, so that people who haven't read it or don't remember it have a chance to refresh their memories.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    @Tommy_A_Jones, which old games do you mean?  The hangman game?  The quizzes? Word searches? Sudoku?  Crosswords? Trump the Murderer?  All of the above?
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to sound hopelessly stupid with this question, but there is something I don't understand about the organisation of the forum, and to make it clearer would make the site better, in my opinion. If you go to ' the Recent Activity' heading link and click, you get up a page which announces names of people (under their pseudonyms ) who have recently joined, or who are enjoying a second anniversary, or who have been promoted. I don't recognize these names - most of them - from 'Recent Discussions' posts. Is there a parallel Agatha Christie universe (!) forum where they post and investigate? Where is their activity happening? Is it on  Facebook? 

I only post on this forum. My instinct is to say that seeing how other forums interfere or not in their community discussions would be a instructive.
    I mean the Guess The Games, where people have to Guess which Character you are thinking about
    And the Quote Game.
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname ✭✭✭
    Hi @Tuppence, if I am not mistaken you got promoted to "administrator" since the last time I participated in this forum (months ago).  As to your question: I would like it if  the various discussions on the forum were neatly concluded with a summation. I agree with @Madame_Doyle that the original texts of AC should be the primary focus. Her written words are the most widely spread across the world. I, for instance haven't seen any of the adaptations, plays, series  etc of her work, for one. Secondly, in all these forms of AC"s work someone else's imaganation is also at work. So let's keep it original and simple. 
  • Shana, I rather like the discussion of the movies, but I agree they interfere with the enjoyment of the discussion of the original books and stories. So how about having a clear differentiation between discussions of the original material, discussions of adaptations and discussions of comparisons and influences on and by other writers? These three categories don't really overlap, so they could be separate.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to say something which is not exclusively about the forum, but rather the website and how its content might be referenced in forum discussions. Other great authors, such as Jane Austen, Scott Fitzgerald and Charles Dickens, have biographers.  Notwithstanding the fact that Agatha Christie wrote an autobiography, does she have a living biographer-cum-reseracher? If not, the Agatha Christie Foundation should maybe appoint and sponsor one. The person would need to carry out research, and interview those who knew people who knew Christie, and then the anecdotes would need to be written up and evaluated. Arguably, for fans, the chance to read short well-informed articles would be interesting, and would promote interesting related discussions on the forum. I am sure I have read that the Agatha Christie organisation aims to promote AC's works and honour her reputation. It is conceivable that , in future, AC will come to be viewed as an altogether great writer, in terms of chronicler of the human condition, as well as a great mystery writer and popular yarn-spinner. You need to be carrying out ongoing research in order to really do justice to AC's literary reputation.