Sherlock Holmes

ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom Investigator
I was brought up loving Sherlock Holmes, apart from Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is read more than a few times.
These little grey cells. It is up to them.

Every murderer is probably somebody's old friend.

Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.

(Agatha Christie)
·

Comments

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada Investigator
    I really like Holmes as well.  I still prefer Agatha Christie though.  The Holmes short stories are very very good!  However I think Agatha's novels are just way better than Conan Doyle's.
    ·
  • tudestudes ✭✭✭
    I really like Holmes as well.  I still prefer Agatha Christie though.  The Holmes short stories are very very good!  However I think Agatha's novels are just way better than Conan Doyle's.
    I agree. I also like Sherlock Holmes, but Poirot and Marple are better than Sherlock. I think it's the way they conduct the investigation. Holmes look for clues, make experiences, disguise himself and Poirot/ Marple try to know the victim's personality (who she/he was, what he/she does), to know her/his family, who will profit with the murder and so on to find out the killer.
    Holmes focus on the  "objects" and Poirot/ Marple pay much more attention in what people say about the victim and themselves. If they're telling the truth or not and why.
    I enjoy Christie much more.
    ·
  • swilks1991swilks1991 Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom Fan
    I only started reading Holmes because I ran out of Christie's to read. But now I am a huge fan! I would say I love both equally but for different reasons.
    ·
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Poirot and Miss Marple because the Stories are more straight forward easier to read, and I prefer the Characters in the books
    ·
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States Investigator
    I prefer Poirot and Miss Marple because the Stories are more straight forward easier to read, and I prefer the Characters in the books
    I agree Tommy.....

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

·
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    I think that is the same with Lord Peter Wimsey and Campion though
    ·
  • I've only read two short stories of Holmes and at the time I found them dull. But maybe a full length book is good? I've seen an adaptation of Hound Of The Baskervilles and I liked the Gothic style, is it like that to read?

I very much doubt any crime author can replace Christie as my favourite. But Edgar Allan Poe comes closest in my affections!

^:)^
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
    ·
  • I can't get enough of the adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, especially the BBC's Sherlock. But as yet I haven't read any of the books. I have the complete collection which will wait until I've finished with Miss Christie.
    ·
  • I was drawn into the modern Baskervilles episode- against my will! I wanted to turn off the TV as I had other stuff to do. But I was too mesmerized. The Sherlock series has gone down a storm here in the UK.

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
    ·
  • Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania Investigator
    Sherlock Holmes was the first one to drag me into the world of detective stories. I love him with all my heart and always will. I like the contrast between Christie and Doyle - Holmes is more of an activist and Poirot, Marple, etc. are thinkers.
    The Russian adaption of Sherlock Holmes - in my opinion - is the best. I also really like the UK adaption with Jeremy Brett and David Burke. <3
    As for the modern "Sherlock" with Cumberbatch.... When I first heard about the new series I was truly excited. But when I saw them... To tell You the truth I felt very irritated. I'm not saying that the series are bad but I'm more of a "stick to the original stories" person.
    I know that they made it "modern" and everything but still...
    ·