Chapter One: A Murder is Announced

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin
edited October 2013 in Write Your Own Christie
What are the best ways to set a scene, open a story and announce a murder?

Are you writing Chapter One of our new mystery novel? Share your tips, queries and techniques right here.
Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com
«13456

Comments

  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    Am I right in believing that the opening pages of A Murder is Announced do not count towards the word limit?
  • TommyTommy Vale of Glamorgan, The, United Kingdom admin

    GKCfan said:
    Am I right in believing that the opening pages of A Murder is Announced do not count towards the word limit?
    Correct!
  • If I won a stage of this competition, I simply couldn't afford the prize. (Almost R16 to the British Pound and huge visa costs.)  :(

    It might present difficulties for many others living outside the UK and EU too.

  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin

    If I won a stage of this competition, I simply couldn't afford the prize. (Almost R16 to the British Pound and huge visa costs.)  :(

    It might present difficulties for many others living outside the UK and EU too.

    Don't forget that by entering you would also get the chance to have your work read by industry professionals.
    Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com
  • One actually has to think, you know. And thinking is always a bore. And you have to plan things. And then one gets stuck every now and then, and you feel you’ll never get out of the mess – but you do! Writing’s not particularly enjoyable. It’s hard work like everything else.
  • mstrsims2mstrsims2 Massachusetts, United States Investigator

    Questions on the "rules"

    3.    The murderer must be one of the characters introduced in Chapters One, Two or Three.

    Now, in chapter one, mention is made of several people who do not appear further in the novel (ex: Mr. Totman, Selina Lawrence, and the Semedleys).   Can we create characters based on these people? or must we only use the suspects from the original novel?

    Thank you.

    (marquisdeposa@hotmail.com)

  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin
    mstrsims2 said:

    Questions on the "rules"

    3.    The murderer must be one of the characters introduced in Chapters One, Two or Three.


    You can drop, embellish or even murder any of the characters mentioned in the first extract - but they must be acknowledged in the next chapters and the story must make logical sense.
    Don't forget you can also add new characters of your own creation.
    Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa ✭✭✭
    this is so tempting.. like a dream come true
    ;;)
    Loved Write Your Own Christie Competition Amazon Author Page: Author.to/PatFurstenberg Blog at Alluring Creations, Words Fueled by Coffee Twitter @PatFurstenberg 




  • HBNHBN North Yorkshire, United Kingdom Fan

    For online submissions, the only way I can get the PDF form to work is to cut and paste the text into a text document - any chance you could provide a Word version of the entry form? Alternatively, will you accept a text version? As far as I can see, the only way to fill in the PDF is to print it out and fill it in with pen - or are you expecting everyone to have a scanner?

    Help needed urgently if post is the only realistic option for submission! Many thanks.

     

  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin

    HBN said:

    For online submissions, the only way I can get the PDF form to work is to cut and paste the text into a text document - any chance you could provide a Word version of the entry form? Alternatively, will you accept a text version? As far as I can see, the only way to fill in the PDF is to print it out and fill it in with pen - or are you expecting everyone to have a scanner?

    Help needed urgently if post is the only realistic option for submission! Many thanks.

     

    A text version of the entry form is fine, although it will need to be signed. You can always email your Chapter entry and post the entry form separately.
    Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com
«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.