Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

'Closed Casket' is the new Poirot novel

Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK ✭✭✭
Yesterday at the Frankfurt Book Fair, it was announced that Sophie Hannah has been commissioned to write her second Hercule Poirot novel. Publication will be in September 2016, the 126th aniversary of the appearance of Hercule Poirot.

Comments

• shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname ✭✭✭
    >-)
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a stupid Idea.
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK ✭✭✭
    What a stupid Idea.
    If a new book encourages new readers to buy Christie's books that can't be such a bad thing. Sophie Hannah has had to change her whole approach to writing a Poirot story. It's interesting to attend her talks and listen to her approach to the difficult task.

Martin Edwards archivist (soon to be President) of the Detection Club has been promoting The Golden Age of Crime novels, via the British Library. This has resulted in novels by authors that have been long forgotten are available once again, we are lucky that Cristie is still as popular as ever and people are enjoying her work. 

• shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname ✭✭✭
    @Dr Sheppard, that's odd. If AC's work on it's own IS still that popular why was there the need to go and attract "new readers" ?!?
     #-o I can't make heads or tails of this anymore, sorry. 

For the record, I do support the idea of keeping the readers interested in AC's OWN work.
    =D>
    Dr Shepperd taking in all I have heard about The Monogram Murders I can't see that that The Book is likely to encourage new Christie readers and from what I have heard as someone on here said anyone who wants to read Christies after reading The Book will not be served well but I repeat I gave not read the book and if The Writer had chosen a Character who AC hadn't killed off I would applaud the idea.
    Tommy_A_Jones 
    You could always attend The International Agatha Christie Festival in September 2016 and actually speak to fans of The Monogram Murders!

It's also about time you read the book and then you would be able to analyse the story and make a fair judgement from your point of view. It has been doing well in the  local library when I have inquired. You could also pick up a used library copy from Amazon for 1p plus postage.

The Monogram Murders is placed in the period when Christie worked on Miss Marple, 1929. If Christie had written a Poirot book set in the period of 1929 and HarperCollins published after it after Curtain, would that prevent you from reading it?

Dr Sheppard

I am not Able to Attend the Festival for reasons I don't wish to go into here Secondly I don't wish to read the Book which I don't approve of, It might be brilliant AS A BOOK I am not saying it isn't just that I don't believe it should ever have been Written because Agatha Christie Killed off Poirot and Agatha Christie is the only person who should in my view Authorize the Writing by someone else of a Book with Poirot, I have stated over and over again that if Sophie had chosen another Character Miss Marple or Bundle or Battle for instance to have as the lead Character I would applaud the idea but I do not want to waste my time reading a book I Fundamentally disagree with, If you enjoyed it I am very pleased fpr you but I will not ever read it or any others the Writer Writes featuring Poirot, I dpn't quite understand your last point If Agatha Christie had written a book and Harper Collins had Published after of course I would read it Curtain was published years after it was written wasn't it? And I have read that. 

• New Poirot?It's a nightmare. Please, make it stop. I love Christie's work, but only her work!
    LiopoldoAtila, If I could LIKE that comment as on Facebook I would :-)

I have just purchased a full ticket to the Agatha Christie Birthday Celebrations on 15th September in Torquay. Part of the programme will be Sophie Hannah reading an extract from the new Poirot Novel Closed Casket, which I am looking forward to.

I was at an Agatha Christie conference on 20th June, held at Exeter University, where Sophie was a Keynote speaker, and she read a chapter from the new book. Poirot again teams up with Edward Catchpool, but there is an intriguing murderer 'that challenges Poirot's theories'. Sophie had a copy of the American paperback with her, from which she read the extract and it certainly captivated the audience and there were many questions from the enthusiastic fans. Can't wait to read it on 6th September.