Does the Agatha Christie Society UK still exist?

shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname ✭✭✭
Almost two decades ago I borrowed an AC novel from the library. In it I found the adress of The Agatha Christie Society in London. I wrote a letter to become a member but unfortunately it was returned  with a note of the Postal Services in the UK saying something about the adress not being correct. After that I never tried again. I wonder if the Society still exists or maybe has been moved to a different adress.  
Tagged:

Comments

• adminadmin Cuanza Norte, Angola admin
    As far as we know The Agatha Christie Society in the UK sadly no longer exists.
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname ✭✭✭
    @admin : so sorry to read that. 
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK ✭✭✭
    Hi Shana

Individuals that ran the Agatha Christie Society do still meet and chat via a closed group on Facebook. The question of restarting the Society came up recently and some of us would like to do just that. The question is the format; the thought is that it would be a 'magazine' available to members via the internet, free of charge (no cost to members), but what would be the content? We would not want to do it just for our closed group, but make it available to a wider audience. If there was a real demand for it, then there is the passion to get it going again.

What would you (and others) want from being a member of the Agatha Christie Society?
    @ Dr. Sheppard, I got your message and quickly came alooking on the forum.
    It shocked me that in the country of her birth,  AC has no organization uniting her fans from all over the world and making her work known to new readers.Those are two things I'd want from the ACS.
    The list can go on from there, whatever the members should decide. 
    The more knowledgeable under the members could very well write up the content of the proposed e-magazine; analyzing and discussing certain subjects out of AC's work, and most importantly drawing a clear conclusion.
    It would be nice to give new members an introduction in all things AC through a standard format. It must not be overlapping with what the website and this forum have to offer, but rather complimenting it. Maybe focus more on the groups of fans everywhere, and helping them to organize events in other counties other than the UK. US and Canada. Hope this helps Dr. Sheppard.
    Hi Shana

Thank you for your response.

Currently the Agatha Christie Group number 37 and represent ideas from Australia, UK, USA, Canada, Brazil, Tasmania, Netherlands, Germany and Italy. They are passionate about AC and staying true to her work, but as you can imagine, chat about all sorts of things. Quite a few would be willing to share items for a society magazine, but it is the content that may be the stumbling block. As I was one of the early members I still have all 35 copies of the Christie Chronicle magazines, but as a paper issue I'm not sure that the same format would work with a web based edition. Times have moved on and people expect more from something they find on the internet.

I will take your ideas on board and put them in the melting pot. 
    @Dr. Sheppard, thats why I mentioned an e-magazine. I agree that if there should be a magazine it should not be a paper one.

It would be interesting to look into one of those Christie Chronicles though.

37 members only? Are those who stuck it out? I do hope the original number of members was a much bigger number.

By the way,on the internet I found  an AC Society with an PoBox adress in New York, USA. Are you familiar with it Dr. Sheppard?

Hi Shana 

I have been re-reading items published in the Christie Chronicles and hopefully can answer your question on the New York Agatha Christie Society.

The first annual Society gathering outside of the UK was on 22-24th September 2000 in New York. This was followed by an announcement in the Christie Chronicle ‘Winter’ 2000 #28: due to costs it was decided that the Chronicle operations would be transferred to a New York and Kate Stine would be the new Editor. However, Christie Chronicle ‘Fall’ 2001 #35, states that the society was to close with immediate effect. The Internet was the way forward with development of the Christie web site.

So, as far as I know the New York Society no longer exists, that was also implied by two New York Facebook friends.

NB: the society had almost 300 members, if I recall correctly.

So do I understand correctly? This website has replaced the the AC society?
    shana said:
    So do I understand correctly? This website has replaced the the AC society?
    Yes
    Ok, then @Dr.Sheppard the AC newsletter replaced the Christie Chronicles I assume.  So why doesn't your closed chat group of X-Society members get it"s content published in the current AC newletter?

So far the newsletter mainly gives us news about activities around Ac"s birthday celebrations, film adaptations and activities like plays, interviews around the world etc. I miss the articles the website old style offered where certain AC subjects were discussed in depth and in a comprehensive piece.
    As things stand now, one has to follow certain discussion threads where a lot is being said, very often not very much to the point, and then has to piece it all together to get a good understanding.