Kenneth Branagh in Talks to Direct Agatha Christie’s ‘Murder on the Orient Express’

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    Do We really need another one, why not pick another of the Stories? I suppose it is true what they say Money Talks and it aint got a Conscimce
  • Seems a huge risk to me. The old movie was star-studded and magnificent. competing with it is a pretty tough task. 
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if the story choseen was The Murder of Roger Acrokoyd, for instance. As
    @taliaavishay-arbel has just said, the old movie is superbe.There's no need of a new movie!
  • @Tommy:

Seems a huge risk to me. The old movie was star-studded and magnificent. competing with it is a pretty tough task. 

Even the adaptation with David Suchet doesn't even hold a candle to the original movie. How about they work on Agatha Christie's other books that doesn't feature Poirot such as Endless Night, Crooked House, Ordeal By Innocence or a faithful adaptation of Sparkling Cyanide which I still have yet to see.

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
  • Do We really need another one, why not pick another of the Stories? I suppose it is true what they say Money Talks and it aint got a Conscimce

I think Kenneth Branagh did a fabulous job with his film adaptation of Hamlet but to do a movie of Murder On The Orient Express, which has already been done before, I'm a bit leery of that. The original movie from the '70s is still better and I don't think a new version would be very good. Just look at how awful the David Suchet version was and that was just a TV film which featured the definitive Poirot ever graced upon the screen! You would think the team would have done a better job then what they did with it. I think if Suchet worked on Orient Express in the' 90s when the series was at it's peak, I think the team would have done a fine job.

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
    edited June 2015
    Do We really need another one, why not pick another of the Stories? I suppose it is true what they say Money Talks and it aint got a Conscimce
    I think Kenneth Branagh did a fabulous job with his film adaptation of Hamlet but to do a movie of Murder On The Orient Express, which has already been done before, I'm a bit leery of that. The original movie from the '70s is still better and I don't think a new version would be very good. Just look at how awful the David Suchet version was and that was just a TV film which featured the definitive Poirot ever graced upon the screen! You would think the team would have done a better job then what they did with it. I think if Suchet worked on Orient Express in the' 90s when the series was at it's peak, I think the team would have done a fine job.
    I can't agree more, @ChristieFanForLife! That movie was a masterpiece! Very well done, the cast was excellent. For previous experiences, I don't think a great idea. And as you said, David Suchet's version, although he is Poirot, was boring to death!
    They could pick another story, even a Poirot's one (David Suchet as Poirot, of course), but not this one.
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada ✭✭✭
    While I too generally disdain remakes, they are not always bad. Remember The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart, which was the 3rd film version of that story. Sometimes, advances in technology make it desirable to film a newer version. I expect many silent films were redone in sound. Too, the 1975 version of MOTOE is now 40 years old, and many of the audience who see the new version will never have seen the "perfect" version we know. And, if it is successful, it might inspire new fans of AC. I had been going to suggest that ATTWN would be a good one to remake, but nowadays that idea has been do so often, and that it might bore the audience. For a blockbuster movie, which I assume is what the producers want, you'd need something with a lot of suspects. Death on the Nile has already been done, so what about The ABC Murders or Murder in Mesopotamia.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    Several months ago, there was a Japanese version of "Murder on the Orient Express" on Japanese TV.  It got great reviews.  It was a two-part event.  The first part was a pretty faithful version of the book set in Japan.  The second part told the story again, this time from the perspective of the guilty party.  You all should know that nobody is a bigger Christie purist than I am, but I am intrigued about adaptations from the killer's perspective.
    edited June 2015
    In this case, @GKCfan, I mean, an adaption from the killer's perspective, wouldn't be more interesting a dramatisation of Roger Ackroyd, for example? I think it could be more faithful to the story than Orient Express.
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada ✭✭✭
    What a good idea to have a first part that is faithful to the book and a second part from the culprit's perspective. It is like reading the book a second time for new information. I've always considered MORA one of the great "unfilmables", because it is difficult to film something from the culprit's perspective without revealing who the culprit is. I hope I do not go off topic if I mention Malice Aforethought by Francis Iles. In this mystery, you know from the first paragraph who the murderer is; the mystery centres on if, and if so how, he will be caught. I believe this was filmed in England for TV in the 1970s starring Hwyel Bennett.