Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

June's Book of the Month: A Murder is Announced

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

I suppose non-identical twins aren't likely to recognize each other right away.  After all, it must get tiring after a while to come across every woman your age and wonder, "Is she my sister?"

As far as we know, there were only three people who could have revealed the deception.  Rudi, the first victim, Miss Bunner, and Belle.  Those were the only three people we know of who knew Letitia Blacklock (Rudi met both sisters on the Continent when he worked in a hotel there, Miss Bunner of course grew up with both sisters, and Belle knew Letitia well but probably never met Charlotte.)  Belle couldn't travel and was unlikely to make an identification.  Rudi, however, might have blackmailed until he got most of the inheritance.

I think that the reference to the "weak killer" is indeed A Murder is Announced.  Miss Marple says at the end that "weak, kindly people are often very treacherous."  
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it is true about the twins - especially given that they were separated at an early age. Also, I think that Julia is not especially reflective and thoughtful - she is a character inclined to jump in first. I think the fact that Julia had that lucky break meeting Patrick in London (I think the place), and then realising the connection going there with Miss Blacklock, might mean that she would unconsciously think that you'd have to have an amazing piece of luck like that to get an introduction. It wouldn't be a very likely possibility to her that her twin would get herself into the same social circle.

Re Rudy, I guess there is always the fear for LB that he might have told an equally unscrupulous friend back home about the blackmail opportunity - perhaps someone who had also worked at the hospital and knew the sisters by sight. And Rudy had a girlfriend at the hotel - it could have gone another way and the young woman could have learned more. In reflection, it shows LB's lack of experience in crime that she thought to murder him. She couldn't have guaranteed no one else would know - a more astute operator might have risked it, and cut him into the money, banking on the fact that he would then be an accessory to fraud, and likely not to push his advantage, not to the law, anyway.
  • By the way, Mariam, perhaps the AC only uses the word lesbian once - in Halloween party, and as speculation about a dead person, but there is another mention of homosexuality - in "A Caribbean Holiday", Miss Marple's nephew Raymond arranges for a friend of his to "house-sit" MM's house in her absence, and assures her that he is "house-proud - he is a queer". And then he is embarrassed.
  • karmarkarmar Poznan, Poland Investigator
    Great plot and great characters - one of my favourites. BTW, I think it's time for the July's Book of the Month ;)
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what July's Book of the Month is going to be???? I'd like it to be a Summer one, maybe Peril at End House, as this plot and its  unravelling are both really ingenious. The murderer utterly convincing as a person.  I think that there is exactly the right amount of pre-warning, and pointers to make the contest to guess the culprit sporting. Hastings is in it too. The scenes sizzle with West Country sunshine.
  • Cynthia V.AndersonCynthia V.Anderson Missouri, USA Investigator
    Has a book been selected for July Book of the Month?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭

As It is my Joint Favourite MM Book I personally would choose one of these;

Poirot Category: ABC Murders, CardsOn The Table, The Clocks, Evil Under The Sun, Cat Among The Pigeons or Mrs McGinty's Dead.

Out Of The OthersTowards Zero or The Sittaford Mystery, Why Didn't They Ask Evans The Bundle Books or N or M. perhaps the powers at Be think as it is Summer everybody won't want one, I can understand that view for August even though I don't agree with it but I don't understand that view for July.

• alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago Investigator
    edited July 2015

This was the second Agatha Christie book that I read, and it is an absolute gem.

• GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    It hardly matters that we haven't been given a book of the month for July, as we have virtually done a focused discussion of two or three books. However, it does make me feel a little that we are characters in an AC novel, waiting for our instructions, and wondering what has happened to the mysterious host who has assembled us to discuss. We shouldn't be calling Inspector Japp, should we, to make sure they are ok?
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    No sign of an August book of the month either. Has such a pattern happened before, may I ask fellow posters?