Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

June's Book of the Month: A Murder is Announced

Comments

• GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    She is 'sold' to we, the readers, as being so, in the beginning - and we worry for her wellbeing, about her habit of prying, of wanting to be important, but............... I put her intelligence and love of reading and literature down to a character somewhat in the order of Megan in The Moving Finger.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    Megan....Never thought 'bout her....Will read on............
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Agatha Christie did this a lot, Tuppence, Bundle and Frankie are alike and Anne Beddingfield, Victoria Jones and the woman in Destination Unknown are similar, Ariadne's Friend's Daughter in Halloween Party is like Bob's Niece in Cat Among The Pigeons. I think.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, very perceptive, Tommy. And all the good looking cads are similar under the skin. The scatterbrain lady in The Hollow is not dissimilar to Mrs Dane Calthorpe in being penetrating under that muddle-headedness.
  • Yes and no... They are both show-offs, and both manipulate others, but I think there the similarity ends. Josephine is socially clever, Joyce is socially inept.(The strange thing for me, is that while most people see through Joyce and don't believe her stories, Miranda does believe her. Maybe because Miranda is so pure and otherworldly - after all, she is taken in by Michael's theories as well. But why does Poirot see her as wise?) Also, Josephine does have something attractive about her - Joyce doesn't. To me at least.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    How are you getting on with finishing The Crooked House, Marc? I kept wanting to read back over sections when I attacked it for the first and second time.
    Hi.Will finish this evening.............What a family !!!!!
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    I know!!!! Quite hideous. It's a good job the sleuth and his girl save the day.
    Really enjoyed it........Now one of my favourites....I actually really disliked them as a family....Roger and Clemency's desire to be free of Associated Catering with no though or concerns about the impact this would have on others eg: employees etc...Magda's continued self absorption in playing a part.Phillip's self pitying 2nd best son act and immersing himself in his books....... I was glad that Phillip and Magada redeemed themselves with their concerns for Josephine  when she was  hit on the head (or was this another great Magda role ? (Think it was genuine)
    Josehine,Brenda,Laurence,Eustace......all dislikeable....
    ****SPOILER****Would Charles  have eventually solved it himself had events not unfolded as they did at the end ?
  • I agree that most of the characters are not likeable - but they are human and understandable. Even Clemency, with her austerity, both in her home and her lifestyle, is comprehensible - she needs order and simplicity in an over-stimulating, confusing world. Today we would ask whether she has asperger's syndrome. As for Phillip, with his constant striving for his father's love, he is definitely human - we've all met people like him, "transparent" children who do everything for their parents, while the parents lavish their love on other, less caring and often less successful or productive children. I felt Magda was a bit overdone - her dramatizing everything and seeing everything only from her perspective is possible, but somehow felt a bit like a caricature of the real thing. And there are a few sympathetic characters - Edith, Charles and Sophia.