Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

February's Book of the Month: Nemesis

adminadmin Cuanza Norte, Angola admin
February's book of the month is dedicated to Geraldine McEwan who played Miss Marple between 2003 to 2007. Nemesis was the last Miss Marple novel that Agatha Christie wrote and the last TV adaptation that Geraldine McEwan played the much loved role of Miss Marple in. 

Leave your comments and questions on the story here. Was this your first Miss Marple mystery? If not, how did it compare to the others you've read?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love The Book, I know someone said n here that There is a Finality to this book in the MM Canon but I think that about The Mirror Crack'd, Anyway I love everything about this book, The Plot, The Characters, I love The Joan Hickson version.

It is a shame IMHO that the Book Of the Month isn't 4.50 From Paddington, Mursder t The Vicarage or A Murder Is Announced, as the ITV versions of those with Geraldine McKewan were Brilliant and Unfortunately Nemesis wasn't, I would have thought The people in charge of the site would know most people would agree with that and so make the Book of the Month one of those, even if those Adaptations are not considedred by others as Brilliant It should be known that this adaptation isn't considered highly, perhapsthe people in charge of the site don't read the Posts.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't my first Marple's mystery and I liked a lot of the book, although I think it's a bit sad.
    I usually very fond of Marple's mysteries as 4.50 to Paddington, A Murder is Annonunced and so on.
    And I agree with Tommy_A_Jones about the ITV adaptions with Geraldine McEwan. I don't think they were brilliant, but they were in general quite nice, except Nemesis and At Bertram Hotel. These were distasteful. It's a shame such a good actress has played a role in such movies!
    What was Distasteful about them tudes? I would just call Nemesis Tabloid just like the ITV versdion of Sleeping Murder, I nearly watched At Bertram's Hotel the other day and then I realised I should have been doing something worthwhile and Constructive.
    Nemesis and At Bertram's Hotel, they have so many secondaries plots that don't exist in the original, they're confused and very very very boring! They don't seem Agatha Christie! It seems that someone wrote something very very very bad and put her name on it (based on AC novel).
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    tudes...i do have to disagree with you.....i truly enjoyed the movie, i just watched it yesterday.  At Bertram's HOtel, i watched a long time ago...will have to watch it again.

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

If an Issue is highlighted in an Adaptation which isn't originally in That Adaptation I would call that Distasteful, Homosoxuality and abuse is raised in Her Novels but if Issues like that are put in Adaptations of different Novels that don't have them I would agree That IS distasteful although Those issues are important and as Agatha Christie had them in some of her work they should be there but In the right Adaptations not in Adaptations of other Books. In Appointment With Death The Victim was Psychologically abusive but in the Adaptation it was Physical as well as Psychological to make the Victim Physically abusive was wrong and distateful

I agree wth you, Tommy_A_Jones. I think it's ditasteful an adaption that presents a lot of things or issues that aren't even mentioned in the book.Besides the examples already mentioned, Cards on the table. I think it's another good example.
    That is the only Poirot Adaptation I refuse to watch ever again tudes but would rather not watch Apoinment with Death Again
    edited February 2015
    Yes, Tommy_A_Jones, I think what they have done to Cards on the Table is even worse than Nemesis and Bertram's Hotel, because the last two (Nemesis and Bertram), at least in my opinion, the stories are good, but not outstanding, marvelous, excellent, a masterpiece. But the book Cards on the Table is out of this world! It's certainly one of her best stories! Everything is perfect in this book. They could have done an excellent tv adaption if they had copied the story without  any "creative work".
  • ginestraginestra Lombardia, Italy Investigator
    I loved the book, a well constructed plot. Not so good the movie .The two nuns are not credible characters in my opinion.