Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

November 2014 BOOK OF THE MONTH: Murder in the mews

adminadmin Cuanza Norte, Angola admin
For our November Book of the Month, we’ve selected a seasonal short story where an apparent suicide takes place, appropriately, on Guy Fawkes Night. Those readers familiar with this autumnal British event on November 5th will know that it’s a time for fireworks and crackling bonfires – at least, for most.

Comments

• shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname ✭✭✭
    Hmm, the title of the story refers to a murder not suicide. Was there any relevance to the story that the murder was committed on  Guy Fawkes Night? I could not make any relevance.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't it happen on Bonfire Night and Hastngs said it would be a good niht to commit a Murder and a Body was found and SPOILER ALERT the Victims friend tried to Implicate an MP
    The ending reminded me of another one SPOILER ALERT Wasps Nest
  • StuartBarnettStuartBarnett Connecticut, United States Investigator
    Can I just say that I love the original cover for this done by Robin Macartney. (I have a print of it hanging on a wall not far from where I'm writing this.) He's my favorite Christie cover artist after Tom Adams. Would love to find out more information about him.
  • LeopoldoAtila LeopoldoAtila Investigator
    edited November 2014
    It's one of my favorites short stories. It turns you engage in the story and the ending is quite a surprise.
  • I was actually disappointed at the solution to this one.

SPOILER ALERT

I wanted it to be murder.

• ChristeryChristery Rhode Island, United States ✭✭✭
    On your splash page with all of the different covers, you have some that clearly list the author as Helen Reilly. I googled her and found that there was an author named Helen Reilly that wrote a book also called Murder in the Mews. I'm very surprised that you posted these covers up with nobody questioning it! For a second I thought Agatha had a pen name that I had not known about!
  • loriewagnerloriewagner Investigator
    I enjoyed the story and liked Poirot's foreshadowing with the garbage, mailbox and set up of desk. The left handed golf clubs were a nice addition that Agatha didn't need but added to the story. Thought it was murder until the denouncement. I found it very clever turning a suicide into a murder and then back to a suicide.
  • ChristeryChristery Rhode Island, United States ✭✭✭
    Well, Max, you should read Orient Express right away! It is one of Christie's absolute best and a real treat! You will definitely not be disappointed!
    Funny how we all differ, There are Poirot Books which are worse than Murder On The Links and Murder On The Oriennt Express but an awful lot that I think are Much, Much better and if the one set in Egypt is Death On The Nile that is Brilliant.