How do you see The Mysterious Mr Quin's ending story?

youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina ✭✭✭
That's it, as the title of the topic says. The whole book itself is very different to AC usual standards, but this story in particular, Harlequin's Lane, is completely surrealistic.

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    There are frequent hints that Harley Quin is a supernatural figure that is summoned whenever someone who is in love is in mortal danger.  Also note that there are two additional stories in the Quin/Satterthwaite series: "The Harlequin Tea Set" and "The Love Detectives."
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone think that perhaps Mr Satterthwaite is How Mr Satterthwaitte is and Mr Quin is How Mr Satterthwaite wishes he was and when Mr Satterthwaite gets the Confidence to be how he would like To be Dynamic, Adventurous and able to solve things Mr Quin can die and go and help someone else, perhaps Mr Satterthwaite should have just answered Mr Parker Pyne's Advertisement, That would have been interesting a Parker Pyne Satterthwaite story.
    Tommy_A_Jones, that's really interesting!  I like your thoughts on this subject.
    Thank you GKCfan, from someone of your Calibre, History on The AC Site with your Enjoyable Posts That means a lot Than you.
    Thank you, Tommy_A_Jones!
    You are Most certainly welcome GKCfan
  • taliavishay-arbeltaliavishay-arbel ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Harley Quin doesn't seem a popular subject for discussion, but I'm rereading the stories, and I think the fitting ending is not "Harlequin's 'Lane" (the last story in the book of collected stories) but "The Harlequin Tea Set", which was written later. While Harlequin's Lane seems to have been originally meant as the series finale (the intensifying of the supenatural atmosphere at the end and Satterthwaite's retrospection seem to indicate it) the ending of "Tea Set" much more satisfying in many ways - The solution is more satisfying SPOILER - saving a life instead of destroying it, with the would be murderer being exposed and escaping, and Harley Quin and the long deceased mother of the endangered young man fading together into the sunset - beautiful and fitting.If I were reprinting "The Mysterious Mr. Quin" I would add "the love detectives" in the middle (probably after "the voice in the dark"), and "The Harlequin Tea Set" at the end. My guess is that AC meant "Harlequin's Lane" as a finale, the book was published that way, but she wasn't 100% satisfied and wrote "Tea Set" to finish it better. 
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answer, taliavishay-arbel. Not only a very interesting point of view, but also a promising perspective to see these two characters. My own case goes against vast majority of people, since I read first The Tea Set than the collection of stories. However, with this reading sequence in mind, it was hard for me to think about "Harlequin's Lane" as the end, as much as its finality sense was clear, as you say, since I knew there was another written much more later. 
    I completely agree, the Tea Set provides a better ending to the couple adventures from the thematic point of view. The stories from the collection were getting darker and darker as the book moved on, from the simple love triangles at the beginning to deeper trauma and murder near the end. The Tea Set itself gives us wider and more complete perspective about death, hate and the past, as you clearly expose.  In other terms, and seeing their adventures as a whole, we start with soft stories and problems that become more serious and heavier, to the end where it's possible to think about justice, reconciliation and a moving-forward attitude. 
    As in life, we need to go deeper from the easy surface and see darkness to re-emerge renewed.
  • youngmrquin, You eludicated and developed my point much better than I did. Thanks! I didn't think of the whole continuum, just of the end, I think you are absolutely right.
  • SiddharthaSSiddharthaS Michigan, United States Investigator
    I rather think that The Sittaford Mystery would have been a good story to spin around Satterthwaite and Harley Quin.