Hickson Vs all the other Jane Marples

Comments

• I know it is up to me.

I agree that I will not bring the topic up and if/when she asks, I will say "Thank you, I have watched them," and quickly change the subject.

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    Keep them, and thank God that you have such a thoughtful friend....

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• I am keeping them and I am grateful.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    you could after a while sell them or give them to a charity shop, that is what I do sometimes when people give me something I really don't like, someone I know is quite often giving me a Book from an Author I don't like, I read the first 2 and then decided they weren't for me so when she bought me others from the same Author I either read them and then took them to a Charity Shop or Just took them to a Charity Shop depending on the Synopsis.
  • TuppenceBeresfordTuppenceBeresford Hertford, United Kingdom Investigator

I am afraid I am not going to be liked for this but I really don't like Joan Hickson. I wish I did. I feel she is really the best because Agatha Christie believed she'd be a good Miss Marple but I just can't see it.

1. Geraldine McEwan - I think Miss Marple has a real affection for good people, however much she despairs of the evil ones, and also a great sense of humour. I think Geraldine McEwan captures this brilliantly - I love the twinkle in her eye.

2. Helen Hayes - I have only seen her in one film nearly 2 years ago and I can't remember quite why I liked her so much but I remember her as being warm, likeable and convincingly intelligent.

3. Margaret Rutherford - I absolutely hated the idea of the Margaret Rutherford films but I'm embarrassed to admit I loved the film I saw. She's certainly not the real Miss Marple but she is a wonderful character.

4. Julia McKenzie - I don't really feel this Miss Marple has the intelligence to solve murder mysteries that have baffled the police but she does make a good sweet old lady.

5. Angela Lansbury - Again this was a long time ago but I found her quite boring and lifeless.

6. Joan Hickson - I'm afraid I found her a bit cold and superior and distant from the characters. There was no affection in her manner that I could discern. I hope I haven't upset anyone. It can be really horrible when someone criticises an actor or character you love. Maybe I can learn to love her? I didn't like Geraldine McEwan at all the first few times I saw her but I do love her now.

Isn't that interesting Tuppence, I am the total Opposite with Joan Hickson and Geraldine McKewan, I thought she was Hammy and I know this sounds Unfair to the Lady but I felt she was taking The Micky out of The Character, Her Portrayal for me lacked Sensitivity and, I heard suddenly after Auditioning alot of Actresses someone said why don't you get Geraldine McKewan, I wonder if that person had a Grudge against her and what you said about Julia McKenzie's Miss Marple I would attribute to Geraldine McKewan's. Helen Hayes was a Good Choice as an American Miss Marpe as was Angela Landesbury and The Margaret Rutherford Films were suitable of their time and I think Fun to watch now, Julia McKenzie was a bit better than Geraldine McKewan IMHO.
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭

I am afraid I am not going to be liked for this but I really don't like Joan Hickson. I wish I did. I feel she is really the best because Agatha Christie believed she'd be a good Miss Marple but I just can't see it.

1. Geraldine McEwan - I think Miss Marple has a real affection for good people, however much she despairs of the evil ones, and also a great sense of humour. I think Geraldine McEwan captures this brilliantly - I love the twinkle in her eye.

2. Helen Hayes - I have only seen her in one film nearly 2 years ago and I can't remember quite why I liked her so much but I remember her as being warm, likeable and convincingly intelligent.

3. Margaret Rutherford - I absolutely hated the idea of the Margaret Rutherford films but I'm embarrassed to admit I loved the film I saw. She's certainly not the real Miss Marple but she is a wonderful character.

4. Julia McKenzie - I don't really feel this Miss Marple has the intelligence to solve murder mysteries that have baffled the police but she does make a good sweet old lady.

5. Angela Lansbury - Again this was a long time ago but I found her quite boring and lifeless.

6. Joan Hickson - I'm afraid I found her a bit cold and superior and distant from the characters. There was no affection in her manner that I could discern. I hope I haven't upset anyone. It can be really horrible when someone criticises an actor or character you love. Maybe I can learn to love her? I didn't like Geraldine McEwan at all the first few times I saw her but I do love her now.

Tuppence....I couldn't agree with you more......I thought I was the only one...

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• I loved  Margaret Rutherford, but then was hooked on Joan Hickson and I think because she was how I imagined her to be from the books - however as time passes, I find that  Julia McKenzie and Geraldine McEwan each bring their own unique qualities to the role.
  • The only one that did portray Miss Marple as described in the books was Joan Hickson in my opinion. I felt kind of let down when somebody else took over after her and could not bring myself to watch it. I got all the episodes on dvd played by Joan and feel happy with them.
    I think Visually Angela Landesbury was best which is why I would love Maggie Smith, Angela Thorne or Patricia Garwood (The Discontented Housewife) to play the role as to me they are similar but in terms of  mannerisms and personality Joan Hickson was much better by a long way.