Hickson Vs all the other Jane Marples

Comments

• PistodogPistodog Investigator
    Does anyone remember a flashback where a young woman poses for a photograph with a soldier about to go to war. It turns out to be Miss Marple? I think it was a Joan Hickson version but I cannot find it . Thanks!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    It was in a Geraldine McKewan Episode, I think it was Body In The Library or Murder At The Vicarage
  • yesimyesim Investigator
    Joan Hickson's the best, absolutely. McEwan appears too shrewd and forward. When she was knitting or gardening she didn't really look the part- too much nervous energy in the eyes. When she was nosing about, she was too openly inquisitive. McKenzie was too tall and imposing, although she did manage to look kinder than McEwan. Lansbury was too Gemini, if that makes any sense? Both of the latter two were too forward and energetic, with too much presence. Hickson portrayed AC's Marple; she didn't re-write the character. Common sense and wisdom, feet planted firmly in the ground but not in-your-face confidence, soft and kind blue eyes and fluffy white hair, appearing generally "doolally" with the intelligent glint flashing just at the right moment. One should read from "Nemesis" AC's description of her (in her dead friend's message) wandering the garden in her pink woolen scarf to get a better picture. Few people in real life can refrain from showing off their intelligence, and I think Hickson had that gift because how, otherwise, would she have been able to weave it into her Marple?
    There are traces of Geraldine McKewan's Miss Marple in the Book Murder At The Vicarage but after that Agatha Christie changed Miss Marple which Geraldine McKewan obviously couldn't do as it would look odd, she looked as yesim said she was too openmy inquisitive, I wouldn't say Julia McKenzie was too tall but in one scene she is ear-wigging buy a Book case in Pocketfull of Rye (I think) when really she should have been Knitting and talking to someone in a Settee with her back to the Conversation she was obviously listening to, I thought Angela Landesbury was great except for the wig and the smoking.
  • I too think Joan Hickson is the best Miss Marple so far. Also, her movies are not only the closest to the books, but the few changes make the story warmer and more dramatic - e.g. in Caribbean, Victoria befriends Miss Marple and invites her to her Aunt's, thus creating interest in Victoria in the reader, and more shock and sadness at her death; in Nemesis, Michael Rafiel, instead of being a shadowy figure in the background, and finally a weak and barely interesting young man, is given a complex character - kind and helpful to anybody weak and "outside", and at the same time abrasive to anyone in the mainstream  - again making the reader care about what happens to him (though the end, when he is all cleaned up and polite, is rather weak). and there are other examples. I keep on replaying these movies!
  • LadybushrangerLadybushranger New South Wales, Australia Investigator
    Agatha Christie.herself wanted Joan Hickson to play Miss Marple,which is good enough for me
    Rather than Jason Raphiel coming over as a shadowy figure in Caribbran Mystery I think there are traces of Colonel Melchett in him, he finds Miss Marple annoying but respects her. and the BBC made Mchael a Brute at first who was an unsung hero who helped others, I could see him using Raphiel House as a Rehabilitation Centre for Ex-Criminals which would not go bad like in the case of the one in They Do It With Mirrors.

I agree with you Ladybushranger.
  • I am in a dilemma. Just this morning, I received a late Christmas gift from a dear friend who knows I like detective stories and, especially, Agatha Christie.

She bought me a DVD of the "new" series of Miss Marple starring Geraldine McEwan with "4.50 From Paddington", "Body in the Library","Murder at the Vicarage", and "A Murder is Announced".

I watched all these on TV when they came out and disliked them because of all the changes made.

I have all of these on DVD with Joan Hickson ( the only Miss Marple for me).

What do I do? I cannot bear to watch them, but I know she will eventually ask me if I enjoyed them so what will I say?

You could either say Thankyou for your Present, Yes I have watched them (Which wouldn't be a lie as you have seen them) and say that you don't like the Adaptations, If your Friend doesn't want the truth she shouldn't ask you what you thought of them, Don't tell her unless she raises the subject as there is no point telling her unless she asks, I had a similar situation when someone bought me a book of short stories with a Different sleuth as they knew I love the Genre, eventually she asked and I had to say I didn't really like the book, she said she had guessed that was the case as I hadn't mentioned it apart from thanking her for the present when I received it before reading the book. I hope this helps
    You could also say to her you had already seen them on Television and didn't like them when you first saw the series. It is up to you.