Hickson Vs all the other Jane Marples

Comments

• StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece Investigator
    I think that the best miss Marple is Joan Hickson. Next goes Mckenzie and Lansberry.
    Old Sins Have Long Shadows
      Elephants can Remember

I'm writing my Christie! Check it Out

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

SeaSnap, Why Not sell your DVD o ebay and do yourself a favour and with the Money buy an Adaptation you DO Want, A version of ATTWN perhaps or the  Warwick/Annis adaptations or the Warwick/Cheryl Campbell version of Seven Dials Mystery.

Although I don't like what ITV did with the Character or the Portrayals of McKewen and McKenzie who are both Brilliant Actresses and have both been in Brilliant sit-coms, I do like SOME of the Episdes, I like the ITV versions of Murder At The Vicarage, 4.50 From Paddington, The Blue Gerraneum, Greenshawes Folly and Caribbean Mystery   

• MoonrakerMoonraker Wiltshire, United Kingdom Investigator
    I always thought Thelma Barlow (Coronation Street's Mavis Riley/Wilton) would have made a brilliant Jane Marple. Joan Hickson will always be my definitive Miss Marple.
    I agree with you Monraker but she would also make a good Dane Calthorpe and Anthea Nemesis 
  • Joan Hickson is the only Miss Marple for me.

I tried watching the more modern versions but hated them. Too many changes.

What they did to my favourite, Sleeping Murder, was criminal! At least I have my Joan Hickson version on DVD.

I agree Anne and Nemesis and not having Bunch in A Murder Is Announced was wrong
  • I agree Anne and Nemesis and not having Bunch in A Murder Is Announced was wrong

I haven't seen the new version of Nemesis, after the horror of Sleeping Murder I stopped watching the adaptations.

I think I saw the latest A Murder is Announced. Did the actress, Zoe (Whatever her name is), who plays Mrs Oliver in Poirot, take the part of Letita Blacklock? I have a vague memory of her clutching her pearls to her throat and breaking them.

I did see the new Body in the Library. I hated the way they changed the murderer.

There was another modern one I saw before giving up and it had Miss Marple confessing to having been in love with a married man when she was younger. I can't remember which one it was. I think I saw one with Tuppence in, too, and Tommy was a horrible, uncaring husband.

It was after these, and the horrible Sleeping Murder that was the final straw to me ever watching one again. I will stick with the Joan Hickson episodes. I love these, except for Nemesis, I find it the worst of the her adaptations.

You are right about A Murder Is Announced, It did have Zoe Wanamaker as Miss Blacklock, I have blocked out of my mind the silly and Hurtful admission about loving a Married Man, I say hurtful because it doesn't allow readers to imagine why she is still a Spinster, It is one Loose thread which should never have been tied up in my view., I too will stick to my Joan Hicksons, my least favourite Adaptation of these is either Sleeping Murder or Caribbean Mystery, I like the Character who accompanies Miss Marple in The Joan Hickson version, whenever I finish reading a Miss Marple book I watch the Joan Hickson version, a couple of weeks ago I watched 4.50 From Paddington and am in the middle of listening to the Audio Cassette with Ian Lavender as Craddock, Unfortunately it is abridged but still enjoyable. 
  • I don't know why they decided to give Miss Marple a married man for an old love. It was probably so she could have something in common and relate to a person in the story.

I can't remember which adaptation it was so I have no idea who it could be.

Why didn't they give her an old boyfriend who died young before they could marry? That would have been more in character with the Jane Marple Agatha wrote in her books.

• JudiQuinnJudiQuinn Investigator
    Julia McKenzie is my favourite by far - has that twinkle in her eye and very intelligent......so sad they aren't going ahead with any more of her stories