Hickson Vs all the other Jane Marples

Comments

• SeaSnap said:
    MissQuin, 'Why didn't they ask Evans?' was a TERRIBLE adaption. The addition of Miss Marple ruined it, although Julia McKenzie's first scene was good. I did like 'The Pale Horse' Miss Marple adaptation. Julia was very Miss Marple-like! 
    Evans-I don't know if I can be bothered to watch it now. I actually had the DVD and I never took the wrapper off! It was an unwanted present, as I didn't think too much of the series so I didn't watch it.

The Pale Horse-spolers!!  it's about as good as it could have been with Miss Marple added. The age of a character was made much younger, a little annoying. But they  played the person well. There was an attempt at adding naughty behavior by some made up characters, which was more funny (unintentionally) than shocking. Julie McKenzie has been good in all the episodes I've seen I'm just sorry she's been given tripe to act in like Murder Is Easy.  

What traits do make her like Miss Marple I wonder?  I think maybe she seems patient and quiet but friendly with shrewdness mixed in. 

I'm trying to adjust to Miss Marple being in Endless Night. Yes it's very similar to a Miss Marple story. But it has major differences.  I just hope they don't round all the suspects in a room at the end, or I'll just explode! Why did they keep doing that? It's a Poirot trait more than Miss Marples.
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • maxamillionmaxamillion Walsall, United Kingdom Investigator
    There is only one Miss Marple Joan Hickson she portrays Miss Marple as she is in the Agatha Christie books
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States ✭✭✭
    I would absolutely love to see Dame Judi Dench as Miss Marple.  Her acting is second to none.

The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

I think Dame Judie would be better off as The Middle sister in Nemesis or the Elderly Lady in Sparkling Cyanide which are roles Geraldine McKewen could have done Brilliantly

• KayLesterKayLester Staffordshire, United Kingdom Fan
    Simply Joan Hickson she has Jane Marple perfectly.
  • theaternerdtheaternerd New Jersey, United States Fan
    I like Geraldine McEwan's quirkiness as Marple. Character wise, she fits Marple best for me, regardless of altered plot lines. Visually, she isn't what imagine Miss Marple to look like, I more imagined someone who looks like a combination of Joan Hickson and Margaret Rutherford. In other words, someone who looks more like my grandmother. 
  • I have seen the most episodes of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple with Julia McKenzie in them and I thought she portrayed the character quite well but I haven't watched any episodes recently since I have read more books. That could change my opinion.

• cwa11acecwa11ace Maine, United States Investigator
    Joan Hickson for me - I loved when she's pondering something. I have to admit though, as someone mentioned earlier, I am in love with everything Maggie Smith has done and would find it interesting to see how she would have performed in that role....?
  • Maggie Smith's portrayal of characters usually have that biting wit behind them. That makes me wonder if she was Marple would she be more arch (in a brilliant way!)?
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    She would be excellent Misss Quin, she looks like my Idea of Miss Marple before I saw Joan Hickson, Maggie Smith Patricia Gatrwood (The Discontented Soldier)  or Angela Thorne all look like my Idea of Miss Marple. but the best Miss Marple has been without a Doubt Joan Hickson