Hickson Vs all the other Jane Marples

Comments

• I always feel that Margaret Rutherford should have starred in an Miss Marple spoof, rather than as Miss Marple.  She was definitely a comic actress. I think her best performance was the medium in Noel Coward adaptation Blithe Spirit. 

Tudes- Actually I think Bertram's hotel with McEwan was a completely farce! To anyone who not had the misfortune of seeing it, there's a woman backflipping over a table and old ladies throwing wool around.  This is actually true!

Anna- Agree completely, I wish we could bring back Joan Hickson, but sadly she's longer here.

MissMystery, also agree I think June Whitfield would be excellent.

Sea Snap- I've not seen Evans- I'm guessing it's not like the book?

SeaKay-  I agree about scripts.

I wonder what episodes will be filmed next in the Marple series? Because all of the Miss Marple full length novels have been filmed. I expect they might sneak in some Non series books.  Maybe The Man in The Brown Suit. 

I love The Christmas Tragedy short story, I think that has potential for a full adaptation.

I might also add that Richard E Grant was very good as Raymond West, but he had a lousy episode to star in- Nemesis. 

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

I am glad someone else thinks Angela Landesbury was good as Miss Marple, I loved her in the Mirror Crack'd I don't think it was better than the Joan Hickson version but just as good although seeing Miss Marple smoke was a shock I could have done without, I think I read somewhere that a film of A Murder Is Announced was considered with Angela Landesbury but was never made, what a shame, she is just right for the book.

I quite like Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple, I love the films she did as her and am sorry they didn't do Body In The Library which was planned, I agree June Whitfield would have been an excellent Miss Marple but I have the Audio Cassettes and I can imagine her.

I think Alexander Armstrong should have played Rex West and I hope if they do another series of Marple   I hope they do Sanctuary    

• I like Alexander Armstrong as a presenter but I can't picture him as Raymond West at all. RW is arch, witty, sharp and young in early books and imposing and a little eccentric in later books. I think if they did remake Marple again, then the actor Alex Jennings as the later Raymond. I saw him Riot At The Rite and I think he's suitably arch. I think he may have been in a AC adapation, but can't remember which one.
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
    I agree with you about Alex Jennings would be good as RW but I still think lexander Armstrong also would, I would have liked to see Richard E Grant as the Butler in Murdr On The Orient Express or maybe even the Victim's secretary, Alex Jennings was in Cards On The Table wasn't he?
  • Yes, It was Cards On The Table. Admittedly Alex Jennings didn't look like how Dr Roberts was described, But then, few people in the adaptations really do. As long as Miss Marple or poirot look something like the book's description then I can overlook the other characters.

I think Joanna Lumley is great at Dolly Bantry, despite her not being how I picture her. I imagine Dolly as being rather untidy looking, a little frumpy. More interested in gardens that clothes. What does everyone else think? The Dolly Bantry in the Hickson version didn't really have much presence and came across as dull. So in that aspect the recent series is better in the portrayal as Raymond west and Dolly.

I thought Gwen Watford was had Dolly Bantry down to a Tee apart from Visually, I always imagined she looked like Michelle Dotrice in The Mirror Crack'd but with Gwen Watford's voice, I think Joanna Lumley had the right level of Jolly Hockey stickish but looked totally wrong in my view, Margaret Courtney was bettar as Miss Knight than Dolly Bantry, she would have been just right for Ariadne Oliver.
  • Joan Hickson has got to be my favourite Miss Marple by far, but I would love to see Dame Maggie Smith stepping into those sensible shoes and having a go. I think she would do well as our lovely sleuth.  
    I agree Carol I think I heard she was asked but the Harry Potter Films had started so she turned the role down, I might be wrong but she is one of 3 Actresses I think would be good in the role who have never done it, the other 2 are Angela Thorne and Patricia Garwood who was in the Adaptation of A Parker Pyne Story The Discontented Soldier (I might have the name wrong)
  • SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom Investigator
    MissQuin, 'Why didn't they ask Evans?' was a TERRIBLE adaption. The addition of Miss Marple ruined it, although Julia McKenzie's first scene was good. I did like 'The Pale Horse' Miss Marple adaptation. Julia was very Miss Marple-like! 

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    Aristotle

Check out my Harley Quin Story here: http://community.agathachristie.com/discussion/88/the-harlequin-apartments-by-seasnap#latest

I agree with you Sea Snap, Why Didn't They Ask Evans? was not very good, It had good Bits, Mark Williams was good but ITV and the Estate should have the Cofidence to do Non-Marples without Mis Marple, I think if ITV can't do the books well they shouldn't try, All the Non Marple stories they have done have been good ones instead of picking on the bad ones likeSparkling Cyanide, Passenger To Frankfurt and Death Comes As the End but they are doing Endless Night so I might get my wish