Suchet or Ustinov?

TommyTommy Vale of Glamorgan, The, United Kingdom admin
As it says in the title, which actor was the better Poirot? Perhaps neither? Suchet has had a longer run but is it a case of less is more?

Comments

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada ✭✭✭

Someone asked me this once.  My answer, which is still the same today, is that Suchet for me is best in the shorter 1 Hour episodes of Poirot.  I think Ustinov and Finney do better in the movie versions of Poirot.  Most of Suchet's tv movies, at least for me, didn't turn out that great compared to Ustinov and Finney's versions.

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is Suchet, but I when it comes to the adaptations, I prefer the Ustinov's versions. For instance, the Suchet's tv version from "Appoimment with Death" was awful. I think Ustinov's version was much better. And, of couse, "The Orient Express". Suchet's Poirot was too much. I prefer Finney's version too.
  • I forgot to mention Albert Finney. I liked the glamorous Murder On The Orient Express film much more that the bleak Poirot with Suchet. 
    But Albert Finney -I always think his Poirot's laugh sounds grating! I find him rather repellent at Poirot for some reason. 

I loved the fact that Suchet Evil Under The Sun was filmed at Burgh Island. But although I liked most of it, I did think that SPOILERS!!! whoddunit lacked the charisma needed. The Evil Under The Sun Ustiov is alot more sexy I.E the whole chemistry  between the victim and her killer.

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada ✭✭✭
    I will say that overall Suchet has done a very good job, I just think his Poirot has been a victim to poor script writing and casting.  I hope as Suchet's run is (apparently) coming to an end that he goes out in style with some really good scripts, casting, and that his features are full of great suspense!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

Ustinov was the Ideal Hollywood Poirot, a Characature of the Man which is what you want for a Film but Suchet Looks like Poirot where as Ustinov Didn't so I would say it depends what you want, Do you want a Light film then Ustinov, If you want accuracy where you can see the Humour then Suchet.

• SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom Investigator
    David Suchet all the way. He just naturally fits into the role of Poirot. I also like Hugh Fraser as Captain Arthur Hastings and Zoë Wanamaker as Ariadne Oliver.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    Aristotle

Check out my Harley Quin Story here: http://community.agathachristie.com/discussion/88/the-harlequin-apartments-by-seasnap#latest

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    Both Hugh Fraser and Zoe Wannamaker are excellent although neither are how they are described in the books, Hugh Fraser doesn't have a Moustache and Zoe Wanamaker is to slim but having said that I can't help picturing them when I read the books they appear in
  • I think Hugh Frazer is excellent as Hastings. He's not dumb, just misguided. 

I know Miss Lemon isn't quite how she is in the books, but I still think that Pauline Moran is excellent. I love her clothes, Art Deco chic but practical. I imagine Miss Lemon in the books dresses in an out of fashion, dour manner. Also with Miss Lemon  they did have to adapt her interests beyond filling cabinets.

I didn't instantly warm to Zoe Wanamaker as Mrs Oliver. But I thought she was excellent in Halloween Party and Mrs McGinty's Dead. I love the way she plays her as exasperated and protective of her creation  Sven Hjerson. She's fed up with him, but can't stand the way that other people want to adapt her character. Maybe Agatha Christie herself sometimes felt that way?  Mrs Oliver's utter disgust at the proposed idea of  what Finn got up to in a sauna was hysterical! 

Japp is also very good, I mean he respect Poirot but  is too down to earth to accept when Poirot is being Cultured. The Affair At The Victory Ball is a perfect example of  the personality of the characters. 

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile