Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Mystery

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would bug me too Agathasmykid
  • Well, I gave in and bought it out of curiosity.

I have read two chapters and it is OK. The murders are very intriguing, but it does not feel like an Agatha Christie book. it feels like a modern author writing about Poirot, which is exactly what it is.

• harringmharringm Investigator
    Unfortunately, I slogged all the way through the Monogram Murders.  I didn`t want to.  I read two chapters and thought it was too wordy and not really all that good.  I have this rule, however, that before I comment on a book I must read it all the way through.  Sad to say, I`ve done that.  Moreover, I had very low expectations for this and I find that the author strove hard to live down to every one of them.

I`m not a Christie purist.  I thought it would be fun to have a new Poirot novel. This was not it.  It was a Susan Hannah novel vaguely about some guy named Poirot.  

I won't be looking out for the next one and I won't bother reading it if someone happens to lend me a copy.  I don't know whose idea this was, but it was a boring disaster.
    We are supposed to believe that The Estate and Hannah had the idea at the same time which is not possible, Is there likely to be another one?, It seems to me the powers that be are determined to ruin Agatha Christie's work for the Fans of The Books and perhaps especially anyone who has had the Cheek to criicise anything the Estate has allowed to happen of recent years especially the ITV series of MARPLE and they are perhaps sore that they  couldn't destroy her reputation because when the started to do absurd things the Poirot series had been up and running for a while, Well, That is how I see things anyway. Well done harringm for finishing it.

• Joepetz999Joepetz999 New Jersey, United States Investigator
    All in all, I felt this book was a good try at a Poirot story.  I didn't really get that "mystery feel" and I can't really picture Poirot in a café so often.  If this had been a new detective, an original creation, it would have been much better.
  • I finished the new book last night.  I have read all of Christie's Poirot and Marple mysteries, to present my bona fides.  Like so many I was at first put off and wondered how anyone could dare to author a Poirot book.  The very idea.  I read it with a certain degree of caution but half way through I found myself forgetting that it was a sophie hannah book and started enjoying the mystery.  Are their differences in Poirot?  Yes, for there can never be another Agatha Christie.  The issue is do we allow our prejudices to  keep us from enjoying a very good novel.  I was glad to see Poirot in a new case and as a fan I did not have major problems with the differences of the two characters as presented.
      I believe that David Suchett was the greatest Poirot on screen but I also enjoyed Peter Ustinov and could live with Albert Finney for his one movie.  I support the Estate in giving us more of Poirot stories and even Miss Marple.  Next time, could they bring back Hastings and even Japp?
    I would totally support The Estate in bringing back Miss Marple as Agatha Christie didn't kill her off.
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname ✭✭✭
    So another writer attempting a go at a character created by AC is not a problem with you Tommy, as long as the chaarcter was not killed off by AC herself?  
    CORRECT! It has been done before with James Bond and Sherlock Holmes and Bertie Wooster, neither of whomne were killed off by Flemmyng, Conan Doyle and Wodehouse and they weren't killed off, I have always said I have n problem with People Writing Books with Christie Characters who Christie didn't kill off, I would love toread another Bundle Brent, another Battle Book, another T&T Book and another Miss Marple book but not a Poirot Book as she killed him off and SHE is the only one who should be allowed to resurrect him and as she is not here it shouldn't happen
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada ✭✭✭
    phil.marklin, with all do respect, I don't think it is an issue of prejudice in this case.  Rather the marketing (for example having Christie's name on the front in really big letters), and the notion of taking liberties with a character the author herself provided a pretty clear ending for.