Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Mystery

Comments

• I have just finished reading chapter one of The Monogram Murders.  To me it was dull and inauthentic, and Sophie Hannah's style is terribly irritating.  I was fed up with all that Flyaway Hair, Flyaway Hair, Flyaway Hair by page 10. 

Frankly I couldn't care less what happens in chapter two.  I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than read any further.

• SueRainesSueRaines Investigator

I have read the new Poirot book and quite enjoyed it naturally it is not Christie but it is a good mystery written from a different perspective and because Poirot is for a short time absent from his own home it give shope that he will return and in future books Mtiss Lemon and theothers like Japp and Hastings may come along again.

One point of note sh has Poirot breaking into the French language a lot more than necessary sometimes to people who clearly would not understand what is said but they agree...

• @SueRaines

It was obvious in chapter one that Sophie Hannah was going to be tiresome by showing off how much French she knows.  Agatha Christie was far too intelligent to patronise her readers in that way.   

• alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago Investigator
    edited September 2014

I completed the first, downloadable, chapter. It was different, but enjoyable nonetheless. If read from a purists' stance, anything Hannah wrote would offend an aficionado's sensibilities. While a person who has not read or heard of Agatha Christie- they do exist!- would suffer a disservice by being introduced to AC through this book.

So far the chapter on its own is commendable and has not overstayed its welcome.

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭

If Purists are  going to be offended by the book and people who have never heard of Agatha Christie would suffer a disservice being introduced to Agatha Christie through this book you must surely come to the conclusion that Hannah should have created her own Character, On  Commercial Point of view, I would have thought f she wanted to get people on side she would have had Hastings, Japp, Miss Lemon, Ariadne, Battle, Spence or even Colonel Raced appear in the Book but I haven't read it and will only read it if given it as a present or in the unlikely event I buy a Kindle so please correct me if there are mnore than just Poirot as a Christie Recurring Character in the book. 

• alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago Investigator
    Fair enough @Tommy_A_Jones. But I am honestly ambivalent on whether Hannah should have created her own character. The relevant persons gave their blessings for this venture and the book is in existence. I'll read it so I can critique it, and also because it was released on my birthday! :D
    The Only person who has a right to giv e their blessing didn't because she is Dead, and to me the only person who has the right to give their blessing is her AGATHA CHRISTIE
  • ;))4
    What does that mean Stargazer.tes?
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada ✭✭✭
    My wife offered to give it to me as a Christmas present and I said "no thank you."  Still bugs me that Agatha's name is in big letters on the front of the book.