Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Mystery

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope Hannah is reading all this she will probably take the nice comments and close her mind off to the bad comments without a Care for the people who don't like the idea.
  • SunsetsSunsets Philippines Investigator
    I agree with @Tommy_A_Jones I am not really a fan of this book cause, I mean, I'm okay with fanfiction, but the moment they publish that then it just has to stop like,"excuse me, are those your characters, did you make them first? I think not"
    I love the idea of Fanfiction, It means that people can play at being an Author and who wouldn't want to put teir favourite Characters from any book into an Idea of theirs but In This case as the book in going to be on General Release it is wrong, It is wrong for any body even with the Family of the Authors permission to write a book with a Character which was Killed off by the Author, do it with a Character not killed off by the Author by all means but Poirot was Killed off so the idea is wrong. 
  • @Tommy_A_Jones, be sure to let us know if she tweets you back...
    Several of AC's books are very similar in their lighthearted, very British style to Wodehouse. I think it took her time to develop her own unique flavor. But then lots of people were influenced by him... and she actually dedicates a book to him, and he liked her books (which makes it even more ok). She says somewhere that at first she was thinking of Holmes which is why she had the Poirot-Hastings duo.
    Actually, I'm usually not crazy about fan fiction. For instance, all these continuations and variations on Pride and Prejudice. However, I realize that it proves the huge cultural and social influence of the novel. It is, however, different when it's an official book - published by the estate. That gives it a legitimacy. As @Tommy_A_Jones said, that creates a difficulty when they choose to resurrect the detective that AC purposely killed. So my conclusion is that this book has to be extremely good to justify this move.
    I'll leave it to you guys to tell me whether it makes the grade.
    She hasn't tweeted back yet, I can't say I am surprised, I read an Interview in a Magazine with another Crime Writer and she seemed arrogant and only took on board the |Good comments and ignored the bad ones and I would think for her own piece of mind she would have to ignore comments she doesn't like.
  • SueRainesSueRaines Investigator

I am a wait and see person also but I bet if Agatha could she would buy a copy and read it with relish just to see what tricks Hercule is up to and to make sure that his 'Little grey cells' are working 100%

• roamingrover86roamingrover86 United Kingdom Investigator
    I'm not at all looking forward to this release, It is sad that the legacy of Christie's work is being sold as a commodity for selfish gains. Got nothing against the author but if she really wanted to write why not create your own characters and test them against Christie's. You can milk the name but you can never match the originality!  
    I wish I could Cut and paste then I would cut and paste what you just put and send it to the Writer and Matthew Pritchard so that he knows the depth of feeling amongst some people and knew how little this project makes people think of him or the Writer, someone should point I out to them. 
  • debolucciadeboluccia Investigator
    When I was 8 or 9 I started reading a lot of mystery novels, among them AC. At that time I read them for the plot and the fun of it. But later, I began rereading AC novels to get to know the author. Every word is a little tiny window into the mystery that was Agatha Christie. In The Murder of Roger Ackroyd Poirot compliments Dr. Sheppard for his reticence and modesty in recounting his version of the murder. I think in that way, Agatha resembles Dr. Sheppard, as well as Sir Eustace Pedlar in The Man in the Brown Suit. But although she intentionally remains in the shadow, we can see Agatha dimly taking shape, it wouldn't be overdramatic to say "as in a glass darkly," in her character descriptions. And just as Poirot gradually sees the character of the murderer emerging through the anonymous letters in the ABC murders, we can gradually see Agatha Christie emerging in her writing. And she is absolutely fascinating. I consider her one of my best friends even though I never met her. So this is a very long way of saying that I couldn't care less about Poirot, Poirot is only interesting to me as a very small dark window into the mind of Agatha Christie. And therefore, if I had my druthers, I would let Poirot rest in peace, along with Miss Marple and the other children of Agatha's pen.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone.  I have still not decided if I am going to read this or not.  The website of the hotel is kind of fun however I tend to lean toward Poirot being left alone.  One of the many things that makes Agatha Christie so special is that she is the only one to have written the stories of the characters she has created.