Murder at the Vicarage as AC's clever, covert reimagining of Pride & Prejudice

2»

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I being silly? My Next Novel on my Reading list is Murder At The Vicarage and I am so looking forward to it, All those Miss Marple's to re-read and the Joan Hickson's to re-watch, Great :-) 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    While some of the Similarities may be forced (And I can't remember which ones) The Vast majority of your Article is spot on although I have not read P&P and am only going by the BBC Production, I do wonder if there are similarities between The Moving Finger and a Book written by one of The Bronte's or George Elliot or Thomas or That Writer who was known as Mrs somebody, I think that because in TMF a Man comes to Lymstock and befriend's a young Girl who has a Step parent and who is taken away from her appalling life out of herself by the new Visitor.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of reworkings, I have just watched two Columbo episodes on tv today, and each appeared to have borrowed heavily from an Agatha Christie plot. (I think another poster may have referred to similar before.) 'The Bye Bye Sky High IQ Murder Case' (1977) was based on the idea in Hercule Poirot's Christmas. A wire was rigged and a record player primed to set off gun sounds, and door slammings to make it look like a victim was killed after the murderer had left the room. In each mystery, the murderer had been known to have been chatting with the victim in his private room before the noisy 'incident' was heard by friends in the rooms below. In 'Death Hits The Jackpot' (aired 1991) , a lottery winner doesn't want to claim the prize money in his own name and so asks his uncle to do it for him. I'm sure this is a steal from The Sittaford Mystery. In the Christie novel, of course SPOILER ,the  murdered man suspects that the competition organisers don't like giving prizes to rich chaps like him, and so he always enters in friend's name. In the Columbo movie, the lottery winner doesn't wish to share his winnings with his soon-to-be-ex-wife. In each case temptation proves too strong for the one who is asked to help. I really see similarities between Columbo and Poirot. Both characters grew and became more typical of themselves in a deepening way as the episodes went on. Both, I feel, sussed out the murderer straight away based on body language and psychological profiling. Both then justified their hunch with detective work. Neither was averse to inventing a clue to trick their suspect, and each would use a made up nephew or aunt to seemingly innocently request information from the suspect, eg how to get their nephew into accountancy. Both praise a pretty woman's looks without being distracted by them, or by any vices or weaknesses at all. Both are kind, and sometimes loathe to shop a murderer, but will carry out justice anyway (Poirot, 'Death on the Nile'; Columbo the one where someone's daughter or neice was killed by the victim). Both have a ridiculous appearance which leads to them being under-estimated - to their advantage. A worthy successor in my book, is Lt. Columbo. (Is Peter Falk still with us?)
2»