Book of the Month February 2014: N or M?

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom admin
Whether you're re-reading this classic Tommy and Tuppence spy adventure or if this is your first encounter with the characters, we want to know your thoughts.

What do you think of the adventurous couple? Have you read all their stories? How do these differ from Christie's other novels lead by Poirot and Miss Marple?

Questions, theories and comments - please leave them all below.
Any questions? Please email generalenquiries@agathachristie.com

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    This is an  excellent Book, It is one of the first 5 I read and the First Tommy and Tuppence Book I read, I love it, I think Tommy and Tuppence are Great as Characters, even though By The Pricking of My Thum and Postern of Fate are weak in areas but then most books have their weak spots, I think N or M is one of the exceptions, It has me entertained until the end. 
  • I'm not a major Tommy and Tuppence fan, so I didn't expect to like this book. So I was pleasantly when I found that it was a fun book to read. Most T&T books are described as "thrillers" but I think of rather like adventure stories for adults. But this book is different. It's definitely more like a Miss Marple in style. Most of the events take place in at a guest house where all of the people staying there are suspects. 

It's biggest fault is that if you find it easy to work out plots, you probably won't be taken aback by the unmasking of the villains. 

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • AlexBarryAlexBarry Wisconsin, United States Investigator
    I regret that I won't be able to join in the discussion this month.  I did read N or M? some time back, but confess to not remembering enough of it to be able to comment authoritatively.  And I am still moving forward in my quest, begun at the start of the year, to read all the works in chronological order of publication.  I am currently half-way through Poirot Investigates, and thus many, many volumes lie between me and N or M? 

I have read this 2 or 3 times and it remains my favourite Tommy and Tuppence Book, The 2nd time I read it I had remembered who one Villain was but not the other one, this didn't stop me enjoying it, as there was so much I had forgotten and anyway I love the book.

Poirot Investigates is very enjoyable, I have the Audio Cassette, the way David Suchet does women is just wonderful, I like his Military Men too.

• ValitalyValitaly Piemonte, Italy Investigator

Good evening,

this is my first post in this forum. I'm writing from Italy and I'm a big fan of Mrs. Christie's works, I've been reading them all over again after a few years' stop.

The novels featuring Tommy & Tuppence are some of my favourites; I love this couple, they are so funny... I found N or M? very entertaining.

I wish Mrs. Christie had written more novels with T&T, actually I haven't read some of their short stories, still looking for them...

Val from Italy

:)>-
  • Completely agree with you Val, I love T&T as well, and wish she had written a few more novels while she was still in her prime. The Secret Adversary is one of her best!
    I think that as the ways Tommy and Tuppence found their Adventures in such Imaginative ways, (An Advertisement, A Picture and a Box of Books), I think it would have been difficult for \Agatha Christie do send The Beresfords off so imaginatively, The other one N or M is my personal favourite even though they found their Adventure the way they did in The Partners in Crime Stories, I should think Agatha Christie had the imagination to find other ways to send T&T off on their Escapades but not too many and perhaps that is a Good thing.
  • Yes, who knows, perhaps part of their appeal is the fact that they don't appear in too many stories and so it is practically impossible to tire of them.
  • ValitalyValitaly Piemonte, Italy Investigator
    lachy.a.w said:
    Completely agree with you Val, I love T&T as well, and wish she had written a few more novels while she was still in her prime. The Secret Adversary is one of her best!

Oh yes, Secret Adversary is just great! And the tv movie was also very well done...

I agree with you Lachy, I think that is probably why I like them so much as Characters, and I can't wait until I get to By The Pricking of My Thumbs and Postern of Fate to see If I lie them more.

I liked the Adaptation of The Secret Adversary but it is a little too long, I wish James Warwick and Francesca Annis had done N or M, and the other 2, That would have been Great,