Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

homosexuality

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    The only openly gay character in Christie's novels is the friend of Raymond West who housesits for Miss Marple in "A Caribbean Mystery," and he never actually appears in the book.  In her short play "The Rats," there is another character that is stated in the stage directions to be gay, and it is implied that he is attempting to avenge the death of a straight man with whom he was infatuated.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand your post, you say he is the only openly gay Character in Agatha Christie's Novels and then you say he isn't in the Book, please explain
  • mstrsims2mstrsims2 Massachusetts, United States Investigator

That was one of my criticisms I had  of some of the filmed adaptations that were done for the 21st century BBC films.

*Body in the Library did not have it and they changed the plot to include it in the film

*Murder is Announced does not have it directly said for the characters of Miss Hinchcliffe and Miss Murgatroyd but the film made it blatent.

*Nemisis did not have the murderer' motive as gay but yet the last filmed adaptation made it distastefully so !

*The Moving Finger's 2006 adaptation made one of the characters fey

*The 2010 Mirror Crack'd made reference to it--almost in a blackmailing way by Miss Marple to the male secretary towards the end of the film (very uncharacteristic of Miss Marple!)

and in a recent re-watching of the Poirot  Cards on the Table I noted that the murderer's motivation were changed to be of a homosexual nature.

Not sure why they deemed it necessary to change the plotlines. 

Firstly they were on ITV not BBC secondly, I have always read the Character Mr Pye In The Moving Finger as Fey, I have sponged the memory of Nemesis and The Mirror Crack'd From my memory and can't remember Homosexuality in the ITV versions of those books, I agree about Body In The Library though a Good Adaptation ruined by Homosexuality put in where it shouldn't be in and The Suchet version of Cards On The Table is the only one I REFUSE to watch, It was done distastefully
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States mod
    Tommy_A_Jones, sorry for the delay.  I meant that Raymond West's friend is mentioned in the book, but he does not actually appear in a scene or have a speaking role.  He's an "off-screen" character.
  • QueensuperdooperQueensuperdooper Australia Investigator
    Agatha Christie had Miss Marple's nephew Raymond West the novelist mention the good house keeping of his friends who were "queers" in the 13 Problems. Raymond felt that surely even Aunt Jane would know what that meant.
    No need to apologise GKC, I don't remember the Off-Screen Character you mean, I hall look out for the mention in The Thirteen Problems if I remember which I probably wont as it is my favourite book of short stories so become too engrossed in it, now Raymond is a Character David Walliams could do quite well I think.
    Oh Dear, I made a mistake there didn't I? You didn't mean The Thirteen Problems it was Queensuperdooper
  • jenniferjennifer Investigator
    Hi all
    I think I just found an answer to my own question!  Currently re-reading After The Funeral.  After Cora dies, it is questioned if the "companion" Miss Gilchrist is "intimate" with Cora.  Although we know Cora is a widow, would AC mean "intimate" as just really close friends, or is there an implication that the steel-haired Miss Gilchrist was an elderly lesbian?  Although, if I do remember.....
    spoiler alert...

I think Gilchrist bashed Cora over the head????  
  • In Three-Act Tragedy, Egg says of Sir Charles the actor :
    "'I like men to have affairs,' said Egg. 'It shows they're not queer or anything.'
    Mr. Sattherthwaite's victorianism suffered a further pang. He was at a loss for a reply. Egg did not notice his discomfiture."
    First published 1934
    (Berkley Mystery p. 26)