The Seven Dials Mystery

This is one of Christie's novels that is rarely mentioned. I read it recently and found it to be middle of the range as far as Christie books go - which still makes it an excellent read. The solution completely shocked me, I would never have guessed it. What does everyone else think of The Seven Dials Mystery?

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say that when I read this book for the first time, I loved it. But when I re-read it, I thought it's a nice book. I love Bundle and, as you said, the solution is astonishing. It's very pleasant and funny to read it. Although I don't feel the same enthusiasm that overwhelmed me years ago.
  • I've only read it once and I found it great fun. I didn;t like Chimneys, so I wasn't expecting to like it. It has many twists. I think that it's a good fun book. It doesn't have the impact of Then There Were None or Death On The Nile, but still enjoyable.
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

I think it is much better than Middle of the range, I think it is very good but prefer The Secret of Chimneys, That might have something to do with the fact I saw it on Video years before I read it, for Middle of the range books I think of Hickory Dickory Dock, Five Little Pigs., One Two Buckle My Shoe, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Lord Edgware Dies and CATP. 

• I guess maybe it is slightly better than her average book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it and I waas left wondering until the end. Bundle certainly added some spice to the book.

Tommy did you see the 80's adaptation of Seven Dials?
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if Bundle had appeared in more books. She's smart and funny. I would like to have read more of her adventures.
  • I think Bundle is great, but I suspect that after she married Bill, she wasn't included as B&B wolud be too much like Tommy and Tuppence.  If they's been a prequel where Bundle got into scrapes when she was younger and single, would have been fun.

In some ways glad she always remains young in the books.

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • ZeddieZeddie Ballymoney, United Kingdom Investigator
    I love the Seven Dials mystery and think the ending is fantastic!
    The television adaptation is excellent and I dont want to give too much away if you haven't seen it but its very strange watching James Warwick ( aka Tommy Beresford in the LWT adaptations) in a completely different type of role!

• Yeah I have seen it. It seems the directors of those movies in the 80's used the same cast just about for every movie!
  • ZeddieZeddie Ballymoney, United Kingdom Investigator
    I know! They are really enjoyable though!!
    I love all those old programmes- partners in crime, the Agatha Christie Hour... I wish they had made more! Especially the Tommy & Tuppence stories!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

Yes Lachy  I have it on Video, I love it, sadly I saw itbefore reading the book so knew who the Murderer was when I read it, but I can enjoy both, It is such a shame they didn't do The Secret of Chimneys First which |I think is a better book, I think Harry Andrews is Great as Battle although I was surprised they picked such an old actor, when I looked him up I wondered if the bit about the Detective being a Homosexual in Poirot's Cards On The Table was a nod to him.

I alsowish the Other Novels had been done with Francessca  Annis and James Warwick