Death Comes As The End

124»

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

I just realised, There hasn't been an Adaptation, I didn't like the Book, I thought it was slow, I didn't find it intrigueing or satisfying, for a lot of the Book it felt like words put together to make sentances  unlike Passenger To Frankfurt which was like Random words put together for no reason whatsoever.

• HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England ✭✭✭
    Perhaps an adaptation might be difficult to stage, with such a vast and inextricably linked cast of characters and settings, and a plotline that is difficult to fit into either of Miss Marple's or Poirot's TV series (you will notice that novels such as Towards Zero and the Sittaford Mystery were given Miss Marple as the detective in the Geraldine McEwan adaptations).
    Yes, I had notised that which was a Great shame and showed a lack of imagination and bucket loads of stupidity of ITV
  • On thinking back about "Death comes as the end" I think one of the reasons for its unpopularity is that in a way it is like a pantomime - most of the characters are one dimensional: "the dutiful son" "the boaster" "the spoiled brat" "the acidic grandmother" "the malicious servent" "the charming suiter" etc. The only characters who really stand out are Renisenb - and that is partly because we follow the whole story through her eyes, and Nofret - the femme fatale.  However there is a deeper reason. Renisenb has been away, and come back to a home that is stagnant - nothing changes, people only sank deeper into their ruts. She rebels against this, and against fitting back into that kind of role - and therefore she stays alive and complex for the reader. And therefore, also, she chooses Hori over Kameni, so she can continue to move forward. So that the pantomime effect serves the main core of the story.
    I don't like it because I find it slow, it is set in an era I have no idea about and I have difficulty with most of the Novels set abroad, I also think Death Comes As The End is a cross between ATTWN and MOTOE and set in Ancient Egypt, The Ambitious decision to set the Book in Ancient Egypt makes me put it higher than Endless Night and Passenger to Frankfurt but I still will never read it again.
  • I found it Very Interesting and I think it would make a Very good adaptation, especially with the Proper casting for Renisenb.
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea, Tali. I never saw it from that angle! I also found the spectrum of mothers in the novel very interesting. Nofret, as a stepmother, was vain and indifferent to her stepchildren. Kait was almost desperately attached to her children, clinging onto them as almost the last relic of her sanity. Esa, as a mother to the family patriarch, chided him and advises his children. Renisenb, as a mother, is concerned for her child - not as the last reminder of her sanity, but as a souvenir of her husband, and her own little girl…
    It would probably be very Good as an Adaptation, I think it is the only one of the 3 Stand Alone books I dislike that would be good as an Adaptation
124»