Death Comes As The End

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    I had never thought about the Murderer being a sociopath but now I do and the Murderer seems very real now but I still wouldn't read the book again, I thought The Adaptation is much better than the Book.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    I like the adaptation too. It's very well done.
    And I think in this case the murderer is a sociopath. He's colder than the others murderes (in general) and the reader can see his thoughts very clear. He seems very reflexive and that's why he's so dangerous.
  • I really liked DCATE. I think it is not completely correct that there is no detective - Hori is the unofficial detective, like Dr. Calgary in ordeal by innocence. And the consultation under the Sycamore tree is certainly a detecting activity.
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States ✭✭✭
    Spoiler!
    I think that Henet or Esa was the original murderer and Christie killed the murderer off. Henet's motive was that possibly she was imhoteps second wife, and after he was done with her she stalked him in the home (the book never mentions the second wife's name) and Reinsenb was her daughter and as she wanted her to rise to the throne after Henet gained power through marriage through Imhotep. that would be historically inaccurate. 
    Or esa, as all the family members came to her for advice, she was surreptitiously manipulating them to kill each other off, and they were all different murderers with different motives. That too would fit the bill as to why she would change it. 
  • EtlevaEtleva Albania Investigator
    I have enjoyed Death comes as the end, and didn't find boring at all. The psychology of the characters and the the archeological knowledge of AC, have fully completed the scenery, which is brought to my mind so vivid and imaginable,the same as I would have lived in the ancient Egypt.
    SPOILER:
    I think that Hori was the original murderer, since he had both the motive ( benefits from Imophtep's properties) and the opportunities( strong, coldblooded and smart). May be Agatha changed the ending,giving more space of romance between him and Renisenb...
  • taliavishay-arbeltaliavishay-arbel ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • In exerpts from AC's notebooks, here, http://www.libros.am/book/read/id/321413//agatha-christies-secret-notebooks
    there are mentions of other possible killers. Personally, I did like the way the book ended, but Hennet could have been a good choice as well, with a similar motivation - the downtrodden worm who finally turns. However, Hennet expresses her negativity through causing trouble all along the way, so she doesn't seem to have such a strong psychological need for agression as the murderer. 
  • EtlevaEtleva Albania Investigator
    @taliavishay-arbel ,
    Yes I definitely agree with you ( SPOILER) Hennet is too aggressive to be spoiled as the possible murderer... On the other hand, it was impossible for me to find any clues on the real murderer, even when I come to re-think on certain descriptions of him...
  • @Etleva, I agree. If being a downtrodden son is enough of a reason to commit murder, why didn't Alfred in "Hercule Poirot's Christmas" kill his father? He had an even worse time of it than Yahmose! Hori's explanation in the end is interesting - the idea of the one man who was downtrodden and didn't have a way to vent being the one who finally cracks - but there is no advance warning. AC was interested in the insane interior behind the sane and over-calm facade - compare the ending of DCATE to the ending of "Towards Zero". There two, the villian is a nice guy, a good sport, and...
  • EllesseEllesse Vancouver, Canada Fan
    I LOVED "Death Comes as the End".  Not the title: but the book.  It was very intriguing.  And the "moment of truth" came at me like a nightmare.  This novel was satisfying, in every way.  I loved the main female character, and the man she eventually gives her heart to.  Altogether awesome: but change the title!  :smirk: