Death Comes As The End

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    I think this book fits in the category of "the second time is much better", at least in my case. When I read for the second time I enjoyed much better than the first (I liked the first one).
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    It is one book I can't see me ever giving a second chance, perhaps If I was stranded on an Island and only had Sparkling Cyanide, Endless Night, Passenger To Frankfurt, Murder In Mesopotamia and Death Comes As The The End to read I would read this book rather than the other 4 but as This one has a redeeming quality it is set in a different era and I honestly don'tt think there is a good word do say about them, To me all 5 are boring and lifeless IMHO
    I agree with you in the case of Passenger to Frankfurt. I think it's the worst AC's book. I hated so much when I read that I just can't remember exactly the plot! And I refuse to reread this book to remember. The only thing that I remember is that I hated very much and I took more than two weeks to finish!
    I like Murder in Mesopotamia and Sparkling Cyanide. They are not masterpieces, but I enjoyed them. They are not bad at all. In fact, they're fine, at least in my opinion.
    I can't decide myself when it comes to Endless Night. I think it's a strange and boring book and I tried to reread it, but I it was impossible, although I think I should. But I didn't hate it. It's just... I don't know...too strange.
    Passenger to Frankfurt was fine until he got of the Aeroplane and then it went down hill.
    Perhaps Agatha Christie got so wrapped up in saying we are all going to Hell in a Handcart she forgot to put in a plot and didn't think about Plot until very last Chapter. If there was a Non-series Book that would not have been harmed with the inclusion of a Reccurring Character it is Endless Night, DrHaydock could have appeared to give the book Body, I think a Recurring Character would have been lost in Passenger to Frankfurt
  • NelleBiremandieNelleBiremandie United States Investigator
    ....... I've never heard anyone say it's their least favorite!! How can they say that?! It's one of my MOST favorites!! I love the different/historical setting especially, it really gives the book an original tone and feel to it. Just the closed-off family drama is very exciting and kind of terrifying. 

Probably my one complaint, if any, is that the book has a bit of a slow start. But after the first 80 pages when it starts to pick up the pace, boy does the suspense build!!!
    Someone likened it to ATTWN, Death Comes As The End Does have a slow start but after that people die like Flies but even that makes it one of my least favourite books after Passenger To Frankfurt and Endless Night Murder In Mesopotamia and Sparkling Cyanide. which all Tie for last place IMHO
  • SPOILER!! I loved DCATE. Somehow, psychologically it was right - the fact that people who weren't allowed to grow became twisted, and that the one character who couldn't express his frustration finally acted on it. Also, Renisenb's choice of Hori over Kameni seemed right - being with Kameni was going back, trying to recapture her younger self, while choosing Hori was going forward from where she was at that point. 
  • TuppenceBeresfordTuppenceBeresford Hertford, United Kingdom Investigator

I didn't really enjoy this book but it was a very interesting idea. There was a strong sense of the characters, their way of life and the customs and beliefs of the time. 

It didn't really 'feel' like a crime novel - there was no detective and Renisenb's attempts to work out who the murderer was seemed out of fear rather than curiosity. However I wouldn't say this makes it a bad book - I read a lot of books that aren't murder mysteries. Perhaps the problem was more that I was expecting a particular genre with particular conventions and didn't get one.

I had a lot of sympathy for Henet and Nofret - they behaved very badly but were never treated well.

I liked this book more when I re-read it. I think the problem is that we expect a "classic A.C" and we find a quite different book. As you said,TuppenceBeresford, there isn't a detective in a classical way and it would be very odd if it had, because it took place in Ancient Egypt. When a novel took place in Ancient Egypt a lot of things that occur in detective novel just can't be done. The things happen in a quite different way, mainly because the story is told through the eyes of a woman (and the role of women in Ancient Egypt was very different from nowadays) and it's another time.
    So, I think it's so strange and far from we're accustomed to that sometimes it's difficult to enjoy, but, at least it happened to me, when I re-read I really enjoyed the book.
  • GriseldaGriselda ✭✭✭✭
    I liked reading Endless Night because the expereince kind of proved what I had thought that AC is always trying to get inside the mind of a sociopath. I am sure the kind of opportunism practised in this story was a not uncommon feature of the 1960s and 70s when class boundaries were starting to be broken down. I thought the TV adaptation was very good, with great casting.