Death Comes As The End

Death Comes As The End- 

It's been listed s some people's least favourite book. But did anyone enjoy it apart from me? I think the idea to set it in Ancient Egypt was really original at that time. The details of everyday life at that time really enthralled me.

Spoilers!!! 

I've read that Agatha Christie changed the original ending and murder. But who was the original killer?  It was AC's friend who suggested it wasn't historical accurate for the original ending.

I think that Kait would have been a better murderer.  Despite the obvious ending I think that it's still a great book.
"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ✭✭✭✭
    MissQuin, I also like the book very much.  I think nobody expect a plot in Ancient Egypt, so maybe it's a bit disappointed to bump with something so different from we are accustomed to (in AC books).

SPOILERS: I also think that Kay would be a better murderer. It would be shocking in a way and would become the book grim and more attractive.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

There are 3 reasons why his book isn't my least favourite Agatha Christie Novel

1) I admire Agatha Christie's attempt at writing a book in a different era

2) Passenger To Frankfurt

3) Endless Night

There is at first a "And Then There ere None" feel about it but SPOILER: The Murderer doesn't die, I have read it once, I won't be reading it again, my other comments are the same as with Passenger To Frankfurt

• MissQuinMissQuin ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

Death Comes As The End Spoilers!!!!!!

Tudes- I'm again in agreement with you. I had read lot's of Christie and then I came to this book, it was so different. I felt alot of empathy for Reinseib. She and the women around, in some ways seemed very powerless in the society they lived in. Yet some of the female characters, Henet and Nofret. were able to gain power, mainly through manipulation. Odly enough there is also a show of sympathy towards the spiteful Nofret and the life she had to lead.  I think that the murder should have been committed by a female, to show that in some ways, women would use any means to gain control.

Hori is a very omniscient and quite like Mr Quin in many ways. I think that crime detective fans may feel cheated as there's no detective. But I actually think that it's the reader who gets to do the working out.

I love all of AC's mysteries set in Egypt, Death In The Nile, the Parker Pyne Death In The Nile, Death comes As The End and The Adventure Of The Egyptian Tomb. I've never been to Egypt, I'd love to. So perhaps on a personal note,  for me, this is the next best thing. 

There is at first a "And Then There ere None" feel about it but SPOILER: The Murderer doesn't die, I have read it once, I won't be reading it again, my other comments are the same as with Passenger To Frankfurt

I am completely mystified by this comment as in actual fact, the murderer in DCATE is killed with an arrow! 

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
    My mistake, It had obviously bored me so much by then I had stopped reading it properly
    edited December 2013
    MissQuin, this book is narrated by a woman. Everything is portrayed by the eyes of a woman that lives at home, living a private life(all the women in Ancient Egypt stayed at home almost all the time), without any contact with others, except with her family. So nothing happens, only repports of the every life ( a very private one). So, the plot has a strong female accent.
    In the other hand, and because of this (I think) the women have a very strong place in the plot. The whole story is told in a very female (and old fashioned, but accurated) manner. Everything implicates a woman in a way or another.
    In others words, I agree with you.  It makes more sense if the murder had been committed by a woman.

• Thank you for those pieces of information. I don't know much about Ancient Egypt so that's provided me with a different insight.  
    edited December 2013

MissQuin said:
    Thank you for those pieces of information. I don't know much about Ancient Egypt so that's provided me with a different insight.  
    You're welcome. It's always a pleasure to share informations and talk about things you like. Thanks!
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    MissQuin. This was a very enjoyable novel. Setting the novel in Ancient Egypt was a very brave move on behalf of Agatha Christie and the amount of research she must have undertaken would have been extraordinary. The fine details regarding how they cooked their meat, the special things for special feasts, the type of rooms they would sleep in, the sort of houses they lived in etc etc made Death Comes As The End a very special novel. 

It s Unique just like And Then There Were None was Unique
  • TeddyBgTeddyBg Bulgaria Investigator
    For me personally, in the beginning the book was boring, all the time I thought that I will hate that book, but then the eight murders came and saved the situation :) Although I guessed correctly the killer after the second murder I totally enjoy the second half of the book.

We shall not hunt together again, my friend. Our first hunt was here — and our last ... They were good days. Yes, they have been good days...