Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Which Agatha Christie novel is this?

BabyJaneBabyJane Germany Fan
edited February 5 in Ask an expert
I am German, but I have read many of Agatha Christie's novels in English too. 

In the back of my mind is a novel that I must have read several years ago and which I would love to read again, but I can't remember which one it was.

what I remember:
it was set in the English countryside
I think it had Poirot in it, but not sure
the suspects were all living in some sort of chalets or cottages, not in a typical village 
one of the suspects was on old millionaire, or major, he had a foreign servant (Indian, African?) and the detective commented how hot it was inside the cottage, which was probably because the servant wasn't used to the cold English climate

I know this is very vague, maybe it sounds familiar to someone.

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments

• Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK ✭✭✭
    Hi @BabyJane I'm going to offer up 'Murder is Easy'. No Poirot, but it does have the millionaire and the village life. If you do a quick search on the title you will find a synopsis of the story and see if its one you would like to read/re-read. 
  • BabyJaneBabyJane Germany Fan
    edited February 6
    Hi @Dr.Sheppard
    thank you for the suggestion.
    I ready Murder is Easy a few weeks ago, so it's definitely not Murder is Easy.

I know it's like finding a needle in haystack. I am sorry I can't recall any more details.
  • Could it be "The Sittaford Mystery"? No Poirot, though.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be The Sittaford Mystery as there are a few houses and a Main Country house which you may confuse with a Motel and Chalet's and would be a very good remake BUT it could also be N or M where one Character has a Foreign  Butler who is Prussian (I think)
  • BabyJaneBabyJane Germany Fan
    Thank you very much
    @taliavishay-arbel and @Tommy_A_Jones

You were exactly right.
    I just had a look inside the book and it's definitely The Sittaford Mystery.
    I knew there was a country house and some smaller rented out houses/cottages.
    Very happy to have found this. Will read it over the weekend.

Some of my favourite Agatha Christie novels I have read up to ten times, but this one I have read only once or twice, so it escaped my mind.
    Also, many books have completely different titles in German, so sometimes it gets confusing. 

Thank you so much :)

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you enjoy it, It is one I have read a few times, once when I finished it I nearly started it again, that has only happened twice but I have other things I really want to read so either time I didn't.