Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Why didn't AC write more Tommy and Tuppence Stories?

Comments

• As Hastings memoirs were published it is possible T&T were basing Poirot's mannerisms from this account?  They may have believed that he was fictionised?  Or it might be a small mistake. I've not read Partners In Crime, so I don't know. 

even more strange in Miss Marple Body In The library, Agatha Christie herself is mentioned! 
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot about that lady youngmrquin but you are right I just think it would have been nice if Albert was in Pale Horse at the Fete or whatever it was, the point you make about the last Tommy and Tuppence story I take as a sort of In-joke that Agatha is having with the Readers and so for me doesn't harm it at all but I can see how it might for readers which is a shame as I think it is both Funny and Clever.

• One thing I realised is that during Partners in Crime, Poirot certainly hadn't reached the height of his career and his only remarkable case was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, so there is every chance that Tommy and Tuppence wouldn't have heard of him. Maybe a slight misjudgment from Christie?
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I don't think it was a misjudgement from her. On the contrary, I believe she was really confident that Poirot would be just that famous as the other detectives mentioned. There is no way, in my opinion, to make this fit in.
    Simply AC wanted Poirot to be fictional for T&T at this stage in her writing career, in order him to be in the same standards of the others. Many many years after, she decided to start to needle her narratives and include all her characters in the same universe (despite this early decision).
    Just like when Colonel Bantry was dead in Mirror Crack'd and maybe she had forgotten that Sleeping Murder, being kept for later publication and supposed to be Marple's final case, had him alive.
    In the end, we can't expect everything to be perfect in the lifespan of such a prolific writer like AC.
  • T&T make me think of Nora and Charles from The Thin Man movies. They even have the dog... Considering how popular The Thin Man movies were (Myrna Loy and William Powell) you'd think these would have been, too, thereby causing AC to write more of them.
    I have a box set of these films, I love them
  • LAURAMUSHKATLAURAMUSHKAT Massachusetts, United States Investigator

I have read many Tommy and Tuppence  stories and am now buying them up.  like that there is a small amount because who has room for all her works?!

the difference from her other books seems to be the fact that there is a set pattern following the growth of T & t's relationship and life. 

I understand that these were some of the favorite things of Agatha Christie that she wrote.

it has been a long time of reading AC works since I was about 10 and am now 71.  still have not read everything!  at one time I could not get AC's UK only books and am looking foreward to reading some or all of those!

hugs

• @LAURAMUSHKAT, whenever I read Tommy and Tuppence, it seems to me that Agatha Christie was a bit tired of her elderly detectives (she once admitted having made them too old) and so was enjoying herself with some energetic young detectives. It gave her a chance to change her writing style a bit; be a bit more humorous and not have to worry about putting them in situations where they'd complain about their aches and pains.
    Also, it perhaps guaranteed her a younger audience, though generally she does have characters of all ages in her novels. Nevertheless, it's different when the hero/ heroine is your age. And when they're a married couple, it shows that even married people can have fun...
  • TuppenceBeresfordTuppenceBeresford Hertford, United Kingdom Investigator

I read somewhere (I think Agatha Christie's Notebooks but can't check as I'm not at home) that They Came to Baghdad was originally going to be a Tommy & Tuppence. It was noted that Victoria's impulsivity was reminiscent of Tuppence's, though the quote from the notebook seemed to suggest that they would have a slightly different role. There was something about them being last seen entering the British Consulate.

I think the plot of Why Didn't They Ask Evans? would have worked well as a Tommy & Tuppence but the romantic element would have been completely different. Although Agatha Christie is primarily a crime writer I think she is also a bit of a matchmaker. I think there was less opportunity for this with Tommy & Tuppence as their stories seem to focus on action rather than psychology. There aren't many characters besides Tommy & Tuppence that you get to know. N or M? has a love relationship but you see it at a distance. (Obviously, Poirot and Miss Marple don't have relationships but there are always a few characters you get to know very well and I find myself rooting for them.)

I would av loved to read They Came To Baghdad with Tommy and Tuppence, I think it would have ben much better, Bobby in Why Didn't hey Ask Evans? is like a dimmer younger brother or Cousin of Tommy's and :Lady Derwent a chum of Tuppence's, There are similarities between The Secret Adversary and Why Didn't They Ask Evans and N or M and Why Didn't They Ask Evans?