Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Why didn't AC write more Tommy and Tuppence Stories?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Then There Were None Wouldn't work with a Detective, the whole point is no-one survives, the only way it could work is if Poirot disguised himself as a waiter or was the one taking people on the Island, letting 1 person die in one book and another Person die in another book is one thing but Poirot wouldn't let 10 people die, I suppose If One Of the Recurring Policemen had a Fatal Illness they could easily replace The Murderer but that would mean 2 Policemen they would have to replace McCarthur and be on the Island to Die but they all have loved ones, would they all do that to their Families but there again people do don't they?
  • MissQuinMissQuin ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    I've always said that Then There Were None should never have a detective. Anyone's whose read the book knows it. The old forum had a whole thread about the horror of Miss Marple turning up on the island. It would bring me to tears!
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    As many of you have already said, T&T could have been in Why didn't they ask Evans? but I think now that in that case it should have needed some changes.
    Franky and Bobby do get involved in ths story because, if my mind doesn't betray me (I read it many years ago), the girl wanted to investigate and Bobby felt he had to follow her. For the plot to work as it does, it needed these type of characters: ones who have free time and money to move around. 
    If it had been a T&T story, first it had to be introduced in their timeline, that it would be after the first or second book. But due to their connection to the police and secret services, they would have never jumped into this adventure without, say, talking to Mr. Grant first. Or some other high police or politician. And if this would have been the case, the whole story would have been solved faster, since the main characters would have had the government's support. Besides, the mystery is so not connected with politics (as the first two T&T books) so that there should have been introduced a stronger reason for them to investigate.
    Yes, they could have been in this story with many changes in the plot. Maybe that's a reason why AC didn't include them here; because she would have needed to change many aspects of it.
    The other main book, as a friend in goodreads suggested in a review (I borrow his idea because I agree with it), is definitely The Pale Horse. While I enjoy the story as it is (it's in my top 5), it's the perfect narrative for them. It has secret identities, a moriarty mastermind, an evil organisation and some adventures that put people in danger. Here, I feel that the changes in order to introduce them (even at their sixties) would have been fewer.
  • It's interesting to think  of The Pale Horse with Tommy and Tuppence. But I love the book so much I wouldn't change it. One of the reasons I love Non series books is that there's an element of the unknown. You don't know enough about the narrator to know if they have a guilty secret. 
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Yeah, that's absolutely right MissQuin and it does in a way add a bit more intrigue because there is potentially a massive curve ball that Christie can throw at you and say that one of the supposed protagonists is actually the murderer! 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭

Why Didn't They Ask Evans? would work in my view with Tommy and Tuppence were on Holiday and staying in a Hotel and in the Bar Tommy got chatting to a Fellow Golfer and they arranged to play the day after and then they found the body then, when they had decided to investigate Tommy could then phone Mr Grant and ask if he could assure the Local Police they weren't meddlers.

It is a nice Idea to have Tommy and Tuppence in Pale Horse because then all 3 Series's would be connected, Mrs Dane Calthorpe, Ariadne, and the other two who know Poirot and It would have been nice to add someone from The T&T books but I can't see how it would work having Tommy and Tuppence, Albert maybe at the Fate (I think it's a Fete), but not T&T, I used to think Non-Series books lacked structure and I still think that They Came To Baghdad and Destination Unknown, Endless Night and Ordeal By Innocence need a Recurring Character but I love The Sittaford Mystery and Why Didn't They Ask Evans. and I like Ordeal By Innnocense

• I agree with you Lacy. Destination Unknown hasn't had much of mention on here. But it's a good enjoyable book. The main character is suicidal, so she has this element of being a loose canon. It wouldn't  have felt right in Poirot or Marple. Same goes for They Came To Baghdad. Which characters can you trust? You know nothing about any of them.

Tommy: somehow, all the stories are connected.
    In the Pale Horse we clearly see that Marple and Poirot universes are indeed connected. The connection with T&T is more distant and indirect, but there is something that links them.
    In one scene at a bar, one of the characters is talking about a lady in a nursing home he once knew who used to ask "if the milk wasn't poisoned today". This is a character from By The Pricking, that T&T know at the very beginning of the book. The existence and mention of this woman proves that they all could live in the same universe.
  • Oddly Mr Quin is in the same universe as Poirot, Miss Marple and T&T! Parker Pyne is also as he knows Mrs Oliver and Miss Lemon.
    edited February 2014
    Yes! I didn't mention that other link because we weren't talking about Satterthwaite and Quin here. It's true, since this senior citizen appears and co-stars in Three Act Tragedy.
    However, there is an incongruence that I think that simply cannot be explained (other than AC lifespan and prolific writing).
    In the final story of Partners in Crime, Tommy solves the mystery thinking, as he says, like Poirot. All troughout the book they have reminded us that they were mirroring detectives from fiction. So, here, it seems that in the end, Poirot is from fiction and they are real (therefore, don't exist in the same universe).
    It's not a complaint, but just a remark of the only possible thing that hurts this huge consistence.