Why didn't AC write more Tommy and Tuppence Stories?

I've just finished reading the Secret Adversary and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame I've heard that none of the other T&T books are much good but I actually think she had two great characters there and could have worked with them more, especially in her earlier years while she still in her prime. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• I'm not a huge fan of Tommy and Tuppence, but I think that Secret Adversary was one of the best out of the T&T books. I'm not sure why. Could it be AC was contacted to write more Poirot  and Marple stories which were more popular/bigger sellers?

"Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Yeah I know that Poirot and Miss Marple were both more popular but there were a few not so good Poirot books which I feel could probably have been made in T&T books and might have been more suited to Tommy and Tuppence.
  • I'm not sure what Christie's attitude to T&T was.  I know Mr Quin stories were her favourite to write. I think she was fond of Miss Marple, since as she was partly based on relatives. It's said that Poirot got on her nerves in later years, but this story was published in a newspaper, but was it true? But Mrs Oliver frequently complains about her detective's annoying habits, so perhaps that was AC's little in joke.

The Clocks could have been an interesting T&T I think, also I can imagine them in Cat Among The Pigeons. I think CATP isn't that bad now. I disliked it the first time I read it. I think Poirot is out of place at a girls boarding school, but Tuppence would have known the girls habits and gained their trust. Same goes for Miss Marple.
    "Do not allow evil into your heart. It will make a home there." Poirot -Death On The Nile
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭

I thought N or M was the best T&T Book, I haven't really thought of other Christie books being T&T Books, I suppose Gwen and Giles could have gone to them instead of Miss Marple and I have always thought Bundle and Bill could have been on the Karnack instead of Poirot and Race as part of their Honeymoon but it could just as easily be the Beresfords, the only change to the Clocks I would make is take out Poirot. I think Agatha Christie should have written more Books with The Beresfords but maybe only 2 more.

CATP could have been a Miss Marple book, then Miss Marple could have been one of the Governors at Meadowbanks

• AlexBarryAlexBarry Wisconsin, United States Investigator
    Just about to finish my second reading of The Secret Adversary in the next two nights.  Quite a good story, and I love the Jazz Age lingo and the all the references to youthful exuberance, energy and enthusiasm.  I've read some other T & T's, and liked them all.  Again, I really "dig those cats".  I recall a BBC Mystery entry some years back that featured Tommy and Tuppence, and it was terrific.  Great casting and acting.  
         By focusing primarily on Poirot and Miss Marple, Dame Agatha may have been trying to appeal to a slightly more mature readership, one a bit removed from the juvenile antics of T & T.  Who can say?  I do regret that Thomas and Prudence weren't featured in more stories, but I cannot suggest any others they might readily have been substituted into, although MissQuinn (above) is probably correct about CATP.  
  • Thank you Alex-

I wonder is there any other books that that could have had different detectives?  N Or M could have had Miss Marple and Dolly Bantry as the sleuths. Would The Hollow have been better with Battle rather than Poirot?
  • I think Frankie and Bobby in Why Didn't They Ask Evans could very easily have been Tommy and Tuppence, not that I'm saying they should have been. I guess maybe the advantage Frankie and Bobby have in Why Didn't They Ask Evans is that Lady Frances is able to use her title to her benefit. 
  • I agree about Evans but on the other hand, part of what's interesting is the question over if Frankie and Bobby will get together. That would only have worked before T&T got married.

I think Frankie is less an authiasast than Tuppence, not a bad thing though. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭
    Great Pontificating Miss Quin, I was thinking about starting a thread along those lines, I think Eileen and Bill could have been in Death On The Nile on Honeymoon, Miss Marple could have been in Evil Under The Sun, Poirot could have been in Ordeal By Innocense, When Calgary has first seen the Solicitor he goes to the Family when he next goes to the Solicitor The Solicitor has Poirot with Him. Miss Marple could be in Murder Is Easy, Ann Bedddingfield could be in They Came To Baghdad and Destination Unkown but it would have to have to be after Destination Unknown and They Came To Baghdad and the endings would have to be different I think in the first 2, she could just go off to have other Adventures and I would like to see Sparkling Cyanide with Tommy and Tuppence unless of course by then Race has married Lizzie
  • MissQuinMissQuin ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Miss Marple in Evil Under The Sun is an interesting concept. I like to think of her trying to sit very upright in a deckchair, casually knitting, whilst wearing her late Victorian/Edwardian clothes. At the time most others are in their (for that time period) scanty bathing costumes! Would she however- know about SPOILERS!!!!  bottles of fake tan? That was not widely used but Poirot being in elite Chic Society circles knew about it. 

I know Agatha Christie did exclude Poirot from some Death On The Nile. SPOILERS!!! But I think it works better as a single person investigating it. Bundle and Bill would have added too much of a  Wodehouse feel, which although fun, isn't  suited to a story with such emotional impact. Poirot was older and wiser and could give Jackie that all important warning, which she ignored. I don't think any other character could have delivered it. Not even Miss Marple, as I think if her character had told Jackie, she may have listened. Miss M would have the effect of a Grandmother and most girls of that time, even wild ones like J, would listen to someone matriarchal.  

Same goes with Murder Is Easy- I think not suited to Poirot- the witchcraft theme would surely be alien to his Catholicism?  I also think that Miss Marple- devout Church Of England, would be out her depth with Satanic rites in the wood. I think that's why it was dropped from the ITV adapation. They basically re-wrote the whole plot to fit her.  Murder Is Easy is one of my favourite books, so I was NOT pleased! I like the fact that it, like the Pale horse has such a eerie  feel which is unique to the non series books. 

If anyone added a detective to Then There Were None- I would be very annoyed! 
    ~X(