Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Agatha Christie and Irish people!

Does anyone, other than me feel that Agatha Christie is bit prejudiced against Irish people in her writings ?
Tagged:

Comments

• Does anyone, other than me feel that Agatha Christie is bit prejudiced against Irish people in her writings ?
    Can you give specific examples? I found prejudice against Jews, Latins and middle-europeans.
  • ashunigionashunigion Kolkata Fan
    There are certain remarks, that i found in One, Two Buckle my shoe, Sad cypress and Evil under the Sun. I cant really recollect the exact excerpt. I am confident that in my next novel I am will find such remark, then I will quote them here. ;)  
  • taliavishay-arbeltaliavishay-arbel ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24
    There are certain remarks, that i found in One, Two Buckle my shoe, Sad cypress and Evil under the Sun. I cant really recollect the exact excerpt. I am confident that in my next novel I am will find such remark, then I will quote them here. ;)  
    From "One, two, buckle my shoe":

“Well, Irishmen have hot tempers and they thoroughly enjoy a row of any kind. Mr. Reilly liked arguing about politics.”

From "Sad Cypress":

"I was going to ask you to give me your impressions of the two nurses."

"Well, O'Brien's Irish, good nurse, competent, a bit silly, could be spiteful, a bit of a liar - the imaginative kind that's not so much deceitful, but just has to make a good story out of everything."

From "A Murder is Announced":

"He could have shot her from behind a hedge in the good old Irish fashion any day of the week, and probably got away with it."

From "Curtain":

"Rather an amusing thing happened once with a batman of mine. Irish chap. He had a holiday and went off to Ireland for it. When he came back, I asked him if he had had a good holiday.

"'Ah shure, your Honour, best holiday I've ever had in my life!'

"'I'm glad of that,' I said, rather surprised at his enthusiasm.

"'Ah yes, shure, it was a grand holiday! I shot my brother.'"

From "Third Girl":

“Perhaps there may not have been blood in the courtyard. Perhaps it is only what an imaginative Irish porter imagined.”

On the positive side, from the Autobiography:

"Elsie was rather Irish; she had dark hair, blue eyes, curls, and was gay and laughed a good deal." 

And in "M or N":

"She might, he thought, be Irish, though she had no brogue. But it would account for the vitality and the exuberance."