Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Sarah Phelps to adapt The ABC Murders

Comments

• MirandaMiranda England Investigator
    Oh ok, I got you.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Hastings and Japp will be included and if they are who will play them and Poirot?

• Luke Luke ✭✭✭
    WFTP did deal with his private life and it didn't need two episodes and it was only a short story. The Poirot short stories were adapted for 1hr episodes with the exception of the labours of hercules. She complicates the characters and therefore has to change the plot to suit her style. I worry about Poirot, as he is a treasure that should be protected not used in this way. I am concerned.  I don't think that these SP adaptations have been very successful, and she as far as I can see doesn't understand Christie. The only positive thing is that it does increase interest in Christie and people go looking for the novels and the better adaptions.
    ABC is not a short story, It is a Novel.
  • Luke Luke ✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't make it clear, I was talking about Witness for the prosecution
  • ChristieFanForLife ChristieFanForLife ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21
    I agree @Luke , Sarah Phelps doesn't understand Christie. She's trying so hard to appeal to a modern audience and add her own flavor of character development and drama that it strays away not only from Christie's writing but the tone and flavor in which Christie wrote her stories. Not all her stories were dark in tone as Phelps makes it sounds. 

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
    edited April 22

I think she said she had never read a Poirot Book so she would be discovering who he is, Perhaps that is a way that The BBC teach new writers these days, they give them a Book by an Author they are not keen on or familiar with to see how they get on and if they impress The BBC Executives by giving the Complaints Department a lot of work the Writer is allowed to write something he or she is interested in.

Instead of trying to appeal to a younger Generation she should try and please Real Agatha Christie Fans and The BBC need to realise it is OK if not everything appeals to Everybody.

• It's been years and I mean YEARS since I watched a good . . .no, a great . . . NO, an exceptional Christie adaptation! The last one I watched that was really good was After The Funeral and that was in 2006! These latest adaptations are subpar compared to past adaptations, especially to the quality that Christie exemplified in her writing. 

• Luke Luke ✭✭✭
    I understand that the same team are also going to do 'Death Comes As The End' I haven't read it and know nothing about the plot except that it is one of AC's only historical novel 
    http://http//www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37174913
  • I hate to see what they will do with Death Comes As The End. They'll find a way to sex it up, inserting F-bombs and profanity just to appeal to contemporary 21st century . . . . as if we need all that just to enjoy a good film. I'm not looking forward to it because I already know that they're going to wreck it. That's appears to be the trend of these adaptations as of late. I'm not excited when I hear of an upcoming Christie adaptation in the pipeline anymore.