Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Sarah Phelps to adapt The ABC Murders

MirandaMiranda England Investigator
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a853308/bbcs-agatha-christie-writer-drops-first-hint-about-new-poirot-tv/
This bit is quite scary:

quote - Asked by Digital Spy how she felt about approaching the iconic character, Phelps explained: "I've never read a Poirot, and I've never watched a Poirot, so for me, this is all about asking who he is. That's all I've got to say."

Comments

• P_LombardP_Lombard ✭✭✭
    That is scary, especially considering her reputation for dramatically altering characters and plots. I shudder to think what she will do to Poirot.
  • MirandaMiranda England Investigator
    Me too.  I'm hoping she was joking but .....
  • P_Lombard said:
    That is scary, especially considering her reputation for dramatically altering characters and plots. I shudder to think what she will do to Poirot.
    Sarah Phelps need to stay away from adapting Agatha Christie's books. We need someone who is well-acquainted and versed in Christie's works and know them front to back enough to adapt them the way they are written. I'm not looking for a 100% faithful adaptation, though such a thing is impossible, but when you're dramatically altering characters, plots and murderers, and adding gratuitous swear words and sexual scenes and mindless action sequences, then it's essentially not Christie anymore. You're writing your own work slapping Christie's name on it. And please don't give me that excuse of changing Christie's stories to appeal to a 21st century society. I wouldn't be surprised if Phelps made such a comment. Everyone in today's society don't need mindless swear words and sexual scenes in order to enjoy a film. I sure don't. I just want to sit back and watch a good mystery, that's all. 

I know that the upcoming ABC Murders won't be good, just as a lot of the recent adaptations weren't. I think the age of great Christie adaptations are over. We're seeing a splurge, a renaissance of adaptations but they're not good. Big budget but the adaptations lack something. I look at adaptations like the 1985 version of A Murder Is Announced, The ABC Murders, The Mysterious Affair At Styles, The Body In the Library (with Joan Hickson) and comparing those to what we're getting today with the recent Ordeal By Innocence, Witness For the Prosecution, And Then There Were None, and the Partners In Crime w/ Tommy & Tuppence, they don't hold a candle to the older adaptations. No, the older adaptations weren't perfect but they respected Christie's work to adapt what she wrote. 

“People in the dark are quite different, aren’t they?”  ― A Murder Is Announced 
    It always makes me laugh when they say the adaptations are for 'a modern audience'.  Anyone would think the Christie books have stopped selling the way they go on.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭

If she doesn't stay away from Agatha Christie at least stay away from Poirot, Miss Marple and Tommy and Tuppence, the way she has done Ordeal By Innocense and And Then There Were None (I missed Witness For \the Prosecution) it is obviously she is better suited to Adapting Stories that aren't so well loved, she will probably have Hastings and Poirot as Childhood friends with a Dark secretthat is the way Adaptions of Christie is going, If Adaptations of Christie can't be done with sensitivity and respect Don't bother PLEASE!!!

WftP concentrated much more on the lawyer's private life than it did on the case.   And it completely blew the ending.

What Lawyer?

Solicitor, sorry.

Oh, Your'e talking about Witness For The Prosecution are you? I didn't see that, I thought you were talking about Ordeal By Innpcense.

I meant Ordeal By Innocense.