Welcome

If you’re new to the site and would like to get involved please click on one of the buttons in the box below.

Ordeal by Innocence

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed that, thankyou.
  • MirandaMiranda England Investigator
    No worries.  I won't be watching any more of it so will come back here to find out who she made the murderer!
    That suggests you want people to ruin it for others who might be recording all the Episodes to watch at a later date together, that is fine as long as people put SPOILER ALERT first.
    I just assumed that people would be discussing it, that's all.  
    I would think like you.
  • taliavishay-arbeltaliavishay-arbel ✭✭✭✭
    Tommy, I agree with you - while I didn't see the series (it doesn't show where I live) and I certianly won't be watching it after the comments here, the children in the book are certainly damaged - damaged by an omnipotent mother who always knows what is best for them, and therefore doesn't let them make their own choices and mistakes and built their own character. My favourite AC quote is from this book (I'm including a few following  sentences to make it clearer): "The thing she didn't give them and that they needed, was a little plain, honest-to-goodness neglect. They weren't just turned out into the garden to play like ordinary children in the country..... Their food wasn't plain, ordinary food. Why, those kids even had their vegetables sieved...  and their calories weighed and the vitamins computed!"  Except for Tina, every one of the surviving children has a grudge against Rachel, either for thwarting them in what they wanted to do, or for being right about them when they insisted on doing their own thing and failed. Even after her death they still carry their anger, and only after Calgary's bombshell makes them rethink the whole past, do some of them come to peace with the memory of Rachel. 
    But my point was that Rachel in the book is not the monster that she is portrayed as in dramas.  Helicopter parents can be damaging but not usually to the extent of SP's drama.  And there was certainly no suggestion of sexual abuse in the book at all.
  • Heavens, no! What the hell has she done with the series? 
    Read a thumb nail sketch of the story and re-written the story using the same Character names and key points
    I think you're right, Tommy.